Monday, November 11, 2013

Respect Age...But Never Stop Learning


Job 32:6-10 -   So Elihu son of Barakel the Buzite said: "I am young in years, and you are old; that is why I was fearful, not daring to tell you what I know.  I thought, 'Age should speak; advanced years should teach wisdom.'  But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.  It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right.  "Therefore I say: Listen to me; I too will tell you what I know.

 

There were four friends with Job now…a young man named Elihu had joined the group…but till now had remained silent…out of respect of the age of the elders he was in the midst of. He must have been sitting listening for some time…for he heard everything the 3 men had said to Job. He took advantage of the silence between them to speak. The stalemate between Job and his elders clearly upsetting him enough to try a hand at speaking an answer for Job.

 

I discovered two truths embedded in this chapter.  Stalemates never have winners…and the oldest people in the room are not always the wisest.  Job had gotten close to the point of sinning with his arrogance…and the friend’s let their arrogance in thinking they knew all the answers...bring them to point of giving up. The silence between them was going to solve nothing. 

 

Elihu spoke a great truth when he said that wisdom comes from the spirit of God inside us…breathing into us understanding. God sends us the help of the Holy Spirit exactly when we need it…not a moment before…or a moment after. God reveals to us the things we need to know…and leads us to the exact scripture that will give us strength for the struggle we are facing.  It might be that moment when you just open your Bible randomly to a passage…or you look down at the ap installed on your phone to see the perfect Bible verse…or a friend calls to say…” I had you on my mind and feel compelled to share this scripture I just read.”

 

I have gained countless blessed advice from many of my older friends and family. They do have more experience....and most have even spent more time with God.  But sometimes the older you are the more narrow minded you become. You think the lesson God used to teach you is a ‘one size fits all’ lesson…and that is not always the case. Sometimes as we age we become set in our ways and forget that God is still in the business of creating new things….allowing the Holy Spirit to breath out new understanding that was meant for now…not the past.

 

It is a reminder to me as I age to never think I know everything…or presuppose that the thought God is planting in my spirit is less important than the ones around me. The thought he breathed into my spirit at that moment was meant for some purpose…and I need to search my heart for who or what situation he needs me to share it. I might have to wait my turn …like Elihu…but when the opportunity presents itself…I must be ready to speak the words he has given my spirit. I must always keep an open mind and heart…for God is not finished me yet.

 

And maybe there is a third lesson…just for me….for I was just reminded by the spirit that I have a serious problem with interrupting conversation. God may be reminding me...no I am sure he is speaking clearly…that I need to work on my listening skills…and be more appropriate in the timing of what he places in my heart to share. Just because the thought is there…doesn’t meant I have to blurt it out quickly.  He might just have had a deeper clarification…if I had listened a bit longer…and waited to speak. 

 

Thank you God for reminding me that there is a fine line between assuming we are right...and keeping an open heart and ear to listen for the newest wisdom you might share with us. Help me Lord to find the strength to learn to listen and wait...to allow you to refine the thought you are placing in my heart to share and clarify the truth in your word for others. Thank you for teaching this old dog new tricks...that will help her to have a more abundant life with you…and be able to minister to others in a more effective way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment