Tuesday, November 12, 2013

God's Silence Will Not Be Forever


Job 33:13-18 -   Why do you complain to him that he answers none of man's words?  For God does speak--now one way, now another-- though man may not perceive it.  In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falls on men as they slumber in their beds, he may speak in their ears and terrify them with warnings, to turn man from wrongdoing and keep him from pride, to preserve his soul from the pit, his life from perishing by the sword.

 

This fourth friend who had waited so respectfully to the words exchanged between Job and the other 3 friends…thought he could convince Job where the others had failed.  He assumed that Job’s declaration of innocence was not possible…and accused Job of not listening …for God’s message that revealed the sin that caused his problems.  Elihu’s words are poetic…wise and true…for all of us except Job.

 

Sometimes God does speak to us in dreams and visions. Sometimes God sends someone in person to reveal a truth to our heart and set us on the right path.  Sometimes God uses the Bible…or the inspired words of current authors like Max Lucado…or TD Jakes. Sometimes he simply sends his Holy Spirit to convict us and lead us and guide us to where we need to be.

 

But what Elihu did not know to tell Job…was that sometimes God stays silent. God simply does not give us all the answers to every question we ask….in the timing of Earth. Revelation 21:4-5 explains it this way…. “and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new." And He said, "Write, for these words are faithful and true.” Just like Job….we have to wait sometimes… for God to work his great plan.

 

Job had the right idea….he was following the advice of David in Psalms 55:22 …which says… “Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.”  God was there…holding Job in his arms….letting his faith shine strong to satan. His faith was shining strong to his friends too…but they were too blinded by the old order of things…to wrapped up in the old to see the possibility that Job could be telling the truth.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I am not supposed to have the answers to all my questions until you decide I am ready.  Help me to be like Job….and cast my cares upon you…so that you can sustain me…and give me the strength and courage to keep seeking you…even when the path is dark and scary to my human eyes. Thank you for the promise that someday I will have all the answers to every question I have let come from my mouth…as I step into that wonderful world you have been preparing for all who have called on you to be their Savior.  Hold me in your arms and give me strength to endure whatever challenge is ahead…as you teach me your wisdom…and show me how to share your love with others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment