Saturday, November 2, 2013

Refine Me Till I Am Useful God


Job 23:1-4 and 10-11 -  Then Job replied:  "Even today my complaint is bitter; his hand is heavy in spite of my groaning.  If only I knew where to find him; if only I could go to his dwelling!  I would state my case before him and fill my mouth with arguments.  I would find out what he would answer me, and consider what he would say.

But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.  My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside.

 

Job replied to his friend’s harsh words with the resolve to stay faithful to God.  He knew deep in his heart that nothing they said was going to help him…he needed some 1-1 time with God himself.  He wanted to just go to his feet and plead with him face to face.  He wanted to hear what God had to say in person….cause he knew it would explain why he was being tested in such a bitter way.

. 

What Job wanted most was for God to confirm his innocence.  He was going to hold on to the faith he had built in God until his last breath.  Job was not going to give in…no matter how many times his friends insisted that he had sinned. He knew God was watching him….even though he could not find him in this moment of his pain and suffering.

 

Perhaps Job was thinking of Moses…and how he met face to face with God on that mountain. Even though the scriptures taught that you would die if you ever saw the presence of God…even though he was very scared….terrified… he knew it was possible,  He longed to be able to sit in the cleft of the rock….and speak with him…and plead with him like Moses did for the people of God.

 

Perhaps he had heard the story of Jacob in Genesis 32…..and how he wrestled with God the night before he returned to ask his brother’s forgiveness.  Jacob would not let go of God until he blessed him….and assured him that all was going to be okay.  Perhaps Job drew strength from the persistence of Jacob.

 

Job knew in his heart that he would be refined to the perfect person God wanted him to be if he just held on through the refining process God was asking him to endure.  He likened his present life to that of a piece of gold.  In its raw state…it is never pure.  It is mixed with silver…copper…and is embedded into a piece of rock or quartz.  Pressure might cause some to break away from the mother rock and be washed into a river.  It is tumbled by the water and polished into a beautiful yellow color…its weight so heavy that the lighter rocks wash away when rinsed.  It is very soft….pliable….bending with very little effort. It has to be mixed once again with a stronger metal…to keep its strength and be useful.

 

Job knew that God could take his humanness...mixed with the world’s many flaws…and refine it into something he could use. He knew deep in his heart that the trials and pain he was being asked to endure was like that piece of gold.  God was breaking him away from the world….tumbling him in the living water of God’s love….and mixing him with the things God needed him to have to be useful in ministry. Oh how it gives this old woman peace an comfort to know that all the pain and trials I have been asked to endure were a part of God’s great refining process….he is getting me ready to be used in some great plan to help others.

 

Father…thank you for always being there for me…even when I don’t see you or feel you at my side.  Help me to be like Job…and long to see you face to face…and ask you the hard questions.  Place in my spirit a sense of purpose for the pain you have asked me to endure…and give it new meaning.  Show me how to use what you are teaching me every day to help others who are hurting and lonely.  Thank you for not leaving me in a raw form…but calling out my name and saving my soul…and continuing to refine the world out of my life…so I can be closer to your will for my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment