Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Listen For God's Whisper


Job 26:10-14 -   He marks out the horizon on the face of the waters for a boundary between light and darkness.  The pillars of the heavens quake, aghast at his rebuke.  By his power he churned up the sea; by his wisdom he cut Rahab to pieces.  By his breath the skies became fair; his hand pierced the gliding serpent.  And these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him! Who then can understand the thunder of his power?"

 

Job begins his reply to Bildad with some of the best sarcasm I have heard in a while. He has said all that he knows to say…so he ices the cake with a bit of disdain for the way they have treated him.  Then he launches into one of the most beautiful and comprehensive descriptions of God’s majesty I have ever read. Job longed for that breath of God to just blow his anguish away….to make his own dark skies clear to a sunny sky….to whisper in his ear that everything would be alright.

 

Job must have read the story of Elijah…and knew that when God really wanted to speak to us…he does not yell…or show his intentions in the strong winds or thunder.  God draws us super close to his side…then whispers to us to come to him…like he did Elijah in 1 Kings 19. Like Samuel in 1 Samuel 3…he awakens us from a deep sleep with his still small voice…and calls us to do some humble work for him.

 

Job reminds us to draw close to God so we can hear his soft still voice…the whisper that will lead us to the answers we have waited on God to give us in his time. Job reminds us that everything is made more beautiful when we allow the sweet breath of God to transform us into a humble servant…ready to listen and do anything he asks.

 

Job reminds us that we simply don’t have a clue how great God truly is. We see him in a mirror…dimly….as Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13:12…. “ Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.” But some day…if we hold on to our faith like Job…we will behold him in all his glory.

 

Father…thank you for the faith and insight of Job…that helps me understand that I have only begun to scratch the surface of what you have planned for me. Help me to draw so close to you that I can hear your whispers of direction.  Breath on me the Holy Spirit’s power and protection so that I can do the work you sent me to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment