Monday, November 18, 2013

Every Storm Can Be Quited By God...Just Ask


Job 37: 1-5 -  At this also my heart trembleth, and is moved out of his place.    Hear attentively the noise of his voice, and the sound that goeth out of his mouth.    He directeth it under the whole heaven, and his lightning unto the ends of the earth.    After it a voice roareth:  he thundereth with the voice of his excellency;  and he will not stay them when his voice is heard.    God thundereth marvellously with his voice;  great things doeth he, which we cannot comprehend.  

 

Elihu talks just a while longer with Job. His attention turns to the majesty and sovereignty of God. He tells Job to listen closely….to even fear the voice of God. He tells Job that God uses his voice to control everything that he created under the Heavens.  He tells Job that the lightening …and the rain….and the snow... and the storms that are stirred up on the Earth all obey the mighty voice of God.

 

His speech was so poetic and profound….so beautiful...so dead on true. God in all his splendor is just too much for our human brain…his glory incomprehensible to our human heart until we make a conscious choice to let him live inside us.  And even then…we don’t ever understand everything about God.  Our hearts get to know his voice….firm and chiding when we stray from the path he wants us to follow...sweet and tender when we need his comfort and love to ease the pain and worries of life.

 

I thought of that story in Mark 4….when the disciples had been sent on ahead in a boat…and a mighty storm had caused fear to rise in their hearts.  He had gone down to the cargo area to take a nap…and they awoke him…so afraid of the storm that they would perish in its turmoil. Jesus just calmly rebuked the wind…told it to stop…then chided them for their lack of faith. He said in Mark 4:39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still.   And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

 

I have to admit that I am so like those disciples.  My reserve of faith is limited by my small understanding of God and his power. Maybe part of the reason we have such little faith is because we allow satan to dilute what little we manage to grasp in our tiny human hands.  I am picturing one of those wind machines…that thousands of dollars in cash are blowing around in. You get so many seconds to grab as much as you can…but the ratio of what we actually grab to the amount that is blowing around in there is very small.

 

The truth is that God’s power is unlimited…we just have to plug into it like Jesus did.  He prayed and talked with his father…he studied the scriptures as a child till he memorized everything available. He knew more at 13 that most of us learn our whole lifetime. Job knew in his heart that God was not going to leave him in the mess he was in…and was holding on until he showed up. But most of us are like Elhu…we think we know more that we do…and we can sound all good….but when it comes down to it….we just don’t have the passion that Jesus did to know his father on all levels.

 

Father...thank you for the reminder that I am not anywhere close to knowing you deeply enough to understand the full measure of the faith you can embed in my heart.  Help me to study more…pray more…and listen for your voice to tell me what you need me to do.  Thank you for loving me in spite of the haphazard way I have loved you in the past…and showing up to help me through the darkest struggles…even though I don’t deserve it. Help me to be more passionate about my walk with you… listen and look for you everywhere I go. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment