Saturday, February 8, 2014

Be A better Listener...So You Can Be A Better Encourager


Psalm 78:1-4 -  O my people, hear my teaching; listen to the words of my mouth.  I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter hidden things, things from of old-- what we have heard and known, what our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done.

 

Asaph began this Psalm with the great words….listen.  Then he listed for us the great history of the Israelite people…all the miracles that God had performed to date.  He told them to share the great love that God had bestowed upon them with their children…so the power of God could go with the next generation of God’s people.

 

I am a terrible listener…I asked God to help me…more than once…and truth be known he has probably tried to teach me a few lessons on how to do it better…but I keep finding excuses to justify why I just am not able to improve.  Like the ADHHHHHHHHD I suffer from.  I will label it Adult Distractibility with 8X Hyperactivity Disorder ….the least thing taking my focus off what people are trying to say….or my need to move constantly keeping me from even hearing what God had planned.   I also have a hard time remembering what they say...I have never had good memory skills.

 

I need to really find a way to stop justifying these weaknesses and let God use his great power to help me overcome it…so I can become a greater spokesman for him. Asaph clearly says that we need to share the great history of God with the next generation….so they can grow up to know the only God that can and will save them if they call on his name.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I need to be a better listener.  Help me to stop justifying why I am bad at it…and let you use those weaknesses to help me overcome the problem. Show me when to listen…and when to walk away.  Help me to share your love and the testimony of how you saved me with the next generation…so that they can be saved and live with you in eternity forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment