Thursday, February 20, 2014

Time Only Makes Sense If Viewed With God's Eyes


Psalm 90:1-4 -  A prayer of Moses, the man of God. Lord, through all the generations you have been our home!  Before the mountains were created, before you made the earth and the world, you are God, without beginning or end.  You turn people back to dust, saying, "Return to dust!"  For you, a thousand years are as yesterday! They are like a few hours!

 

Moses is credited with writing this psalm…the oldest of all the works in this book. He put words to one of the hardest concepts God tries to help us realize about his being.  He was first…and he will be last…and the time in between is as a day to him. God does not measure time as we do.

 

Time here on earth seems to drag on and on some days…our negative way of viewing something adding to the illusion that it has lasted forever…when in fact it has only been a few days …or months. We struggle as Job…who spoke these words in Job 10:1-22 ….“I loathe my life; I will give free utterance to my complaint; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul. I will say to God, Do not condemn me; let me know why you contend against me. Does it seem good to you to oppress, to despise the work of your hands and favor the designs of the wicked? Have you eyes of flesh? Do you see as man sees? Are your days as the days of man, or your years as a man's years…”

 

Time for some seems to pass so quickly that we cannot get anything done. We feel we want to stop the clock for a bit…so we can catch up.  We mirror the thoughts of James….who said in James 4:13-15 … “Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”

 

Truth is…the time he grants us will only make sense if it is lived in his will. Moses went on to say in verse 12 … “ Teach us to make the most of our time, so that we may grow in wisdom.” We need to quit worrying about how much time we have…and use each moment he does grant us to do the work he sent us to do.  It is that simple.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to use my time more wisely. Help me to relay in your power to see the fullness of the plan you have for me…without stopping to question it all the time. Teach me as Moses said…hoe to make the most of each moment you grant me…so I can make you proud of me….and feel your love …and live in your wisdom.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment