Sunday, February 23, 2014

Strive To Be More Holy


Psalm 93:3-5 -  The mighty oceans have roared, O LORD. The mighty oceans roar like thunder; the mighty oceans roar as they pound the shore. But mightier than the violent raging of the seas, mightier than the breakers on the shore -- the LORD above is mightier than these! Your royal decrees cannot be changed. The nature of your reign, O LORD, is holiness forever.

 

The writer of this Psalm was overcome with the holiness of God. God’s strength and majesty come from his holiness.  He knew that God is on his throne and has been since the world was first made.  He is the only one who knows the ending.

 

God’s royal decrees were put in place in Exodus 20….and they are still as relevant today as they were for the People then. He gave them to us exactly the way we were meant to have them…and they are not to be altered or interpreted in a way that changes the meaning. 

 

Those decrees or rules were given to us to help us understand how we can strive to be holy…just as Jesus was when he walked the earth.  He kept every one of those decrees…even to the point of dying on a cross to save the sins of everyone who would believe on his name after.

 

Leviticus 19:1-2 says…. “ The LORD also said to Moses,  "Say this to the entire community of Israel: You must be holy because I, the LORD your God, am holy. That order was as much for me and you and it was for the Israelites.  And that means that I am to keep those 10 rules so I can try to be holy…like God wants me to be.

 

Holy does not mean righteous…it means dedicated…consecrated to God. And if I am truly dedicated...and consecrate every part of my life to God…then I want to do everything he asks me to do…without arguing or complaining…..just because he asked. When he says jump…I don’t even ask how high…I just jump as far as he has taught me to jump thus far in my life and see what great things happen because I was obedient.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that to be holy is to be dedicated to just you.  Help me to rid my life of everything that tries to water down the rules you gave me to live by.  Help me to consecrate more moments of my time to your service.  Help me to be more holy….so I can dwell with you some day in heaven. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment