Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Thankfulness Leads To Humbleness


Psalm 95:6-9 -   Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the LORD our Maker;  for he is our God and we are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care. Today, if you hear his voice,  do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the desert,  where your fathers tested and tried me, though they had seen what I did.

 

It must have been one of those reflective moments…when David realized that he was truly thankful for the humble beginnings he had as a shepherd boy. It helped him understand that God was truly in control...and that he was now the sheep…and God was his shepherd.  He was so thankful…and just wanted to kneel before God and tell him so.

 

Thankfulness…it helps us understand the concept of humbleness.  We realize that we had nothing to do with the great blessings that we receive and that God has given us everything that we have. David tells us here to sing…shout…thank…and kneel in praise to God for all he has done. David tells us here to make sure that we know the shepherd’s voice.

 

If we don’t take David’s advice the outcome is not pretty.  We develop hardened hearts….and forget what God’s voice sounds like.  We wander around with no real shepherd to help us find our purpose in life…and think mistakenly that we have any power over what happens to us in the end. It’s just plain scary to me …to think of life any other way but with God. I want to keep my heart as soft and pliable as God needs it to keep pouring in more of his great love. 

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to keep my heart soft and my ears ever tuned to your voice.  Help me to find the time to thank you for all you have done…for being my shepherd.  Help me to stay tuned in to your voice…so I can follow your directions quickly.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment