Friday, February 7, 2014

Let Worship Turn Your Pain Into Sweet Memories


Psalm 77:1-3 -  I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me.  When I was in distress, I sought the Lord; at night I stretched out untiring hands and my soul refused to be comforted.  I remembered you, O God, and I groaned; I mused, and my spirit grew faint. "Selah"

 

Asaph found himself so troubled he could not sleep…so he cried out to God.  His prayers through the entire night began to request God to fix this and that….but somewhere in the midst of one of those requests….he remembered something God had already done for him. And as he began to recount the good times his troubles melted into a time of thankfulness and worship.

 

I call them sweet memories…like the huge empty parking lot of ice and snow I passed yesterday when I took my son to the doctor to get the stitches out of his shoulder. It made me think of how I would cringe at the prospect of going with Mitchell to do wheelies at 3 am when it snowed….but for some odd reason I found myself laughing and doing just one wheelie…while Andrew stared at me and reminded me that security would surely come and give me a ticket.  I laughed partially at the sweet memory …and more from the shock on my son’s face…as I pulled back off the ice. 

 

That is the way that God begins to heal us from the pain of the deepest wounds that life inflicts.  He wraps us in sweet memories of all he has done in the past…and transforms our worries and pain into worship of him.  We can’t be worried or sad anymore…for we see all that we should be thankful for instead.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to bring all my worries and pain to you…so you can begin to replace the pain with your great love.  Thank you for the sweet memories that bring a moment of joy to my heart…and the smile that powers the courage to move a little further away from the pain.  Help me to always  follow Asaph’s model…and let my prayers of pain and sorrow…melt into a worship that fades all the pain and sorrow from my heart...as I worship you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment