Friday, September 12, 2014

A Beautiful Home Does Not Make A Good Christian


Jeremiah 22: 14-15 - He says, 'I will build a magnificent palace with huge rooms and many windows, paneled throughout with fragrant cedar and painted a lovely red.'  "But a beautiful palace does not make a great king! Why did your father, Josiah, reign so long? Because he was just and right in all his dealings. That is why God blessed him.

 

God sent Jeremiah out to the king of Judah to warn him one more time of his greed and selfish attitude.  God wanted him to know that it was not the things around him that made him blessed….that he needed to develop a love for others …and have a passion inside his heart for justice to all.

 

He used Josiah’s life as an example of one who understood the position of king….and used it to help others. He was just…he did what was right….he used his resources to help others.  He made it clear that Josiah’s blessed life was not a result of all the beautiful things he had around him…it was because he used the beautiful things God blessed him with to make sure everyone was treated fairly.

 

A beautiful house….an expensive car….a closet full of clothes and shoes….name brand purses…or money in the bank is not how God measures our heart.  It is what we do with that house….where we go in that car….or how we use any of the things he blesses us with to help others know as much about God’s love as we can tell.

 

I needed the reminder this morning….to keep my attitude carefully in check….to keep that selfishness that tries to escape me so often completely under God’s control. When our Youth Service center says it is running low on clothes…my task that night should be cleaning out my closet. Then I should open my heart and let my ears hear the hints that God will send my way how to help others….the bigger the sacrifice on my part….the bigger the blessing to others.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that one way to keep selfishness from creeping into my heart and life again is to constantly use what you have given me to help others. Forgive me for the times I have walked with my ears and heart closed…and missed the hints you sent me to help someone.  Help me to keep my relationship and time with you so focused that I know where you need me to show your love to others.  Control my tendency to be selfish with what you have given me and always share what I have with others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment