Friday, September 5, 2014

Stop Those Pity Parties


Jeremiah 15:18-19 - Why then does my suffering continue? Why is my wound so incurable? Your help seems as uncertain as a seasonal brook. It is like a spring that has gone dry."  The LORD replied, "If you return to me, I will restore you so you can continue to serve me. If you speak words that are worthy, you will be my spokesman. You are to influence them; do not let them influence you!

 

Even the great prophet Jeremiah got tired and frustrated with waiting on God. The job he had been sent to do brought suffering and persecution to his body…mind…and soul. He felt abandoned by God and lost trust and faith in him for the moment.  He thanked God…said he was proud to bear his name in one breath…..then shouted a string of accusations that God had left him to die alone.

 

Jeremiah was in a mental place very familiar to me.  It is called a pity party. I have them when I forget to trust in God too. They come the most when my memories trick me into feeling sad for what I lost…instead of thanking God for a memory at all. They come when I am let myself spiral into thinking that a time of mistakes and learning….isn’t accomplishing anything good in my life.  They come when I let my busy schedule cut my Bible study time and prayers to less than they should be.

 

God did for Jeremiah what he does with all of us when we give ourselves a pity party. He just took a step closer to his troubled child and told him to stop his foolishness. He told Jeremiah to let go of his worry and grab back onto the trust that he once had. He told him he still needed him to be his voice to the people. He told him to stop being influence by the others around him….and start influencing them for God.

 

It all boils down to letting God rearrange our priorities. We have to live Matthew 6:33…” But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” He won’t let us stay on a pity party very long…and they will come farther apart if we can keep him first in our lives.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that the pity parties I managed to throw for myself are my own lack of trust in you.  Forgive me for the times that I let that pity party happen at all…even spiral into a week-long affair. Help me to trust in you no matter what….so you can guide me safely through whatever storm I might be going through. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment