Friday, September 19, 2014

God's Plans Are Always For Good


Jeremiah 29:10-13 -  "The truth is that you will be in Babylon for seventy years. But then I will come and do for you all the good things I have promised, and I will bring you home again.  For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.  In those days when you pray, I will listen.  If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me.

 

Most of the leaders and important figures of the city had been carried away to Babylon …but somehow Jeremiah had been left behind.  Even though he was not with them…God still continued to use him to deliver his words by letter. 

 

His words began with devastating news….at least 70 years of exile was ahead of them. But his message from God held a hope for good things.  For God’s plans…though long in the process….were to make them again a great nation….a nation that depended on God again with their whole being.

 

I read the whole story with the biggest smile last night….and I am still smiling this morning as I think of God’s plans for my own future.  I may have seen trouble in my 55 years…but this set of verses has been a favorite promise of mine for at least the last 5 years. It reminds me to keep my focus on God...to seek him with all that I have…so I can find him no matter what happens. Because at some point…if I don’t give up…God has plans to give me my heart’s desire.  

 

It is a great reminder to me each day that God wants us to move ahead in our lives….despite the struggles that he allows in our lives.  The struggles we go through are meant to make us stronger people…to train us how to help others.   He calls us to bloom where we are planted….not give up and let life shrivel our faith to nothing.  He calls for us to pray through our troubles…even praying for those that may have caused it….so our troubles can become a part of the past that shaped us…not the part of our lives that broke our spirit.

 

I admit that it is hard to wait on God’s timing.   I admit that I fail every day…at least once….to depend on God for something.  But then these verses come to my mind…and I am reminded look up for strength… to stop my pity party…and let God just do what God needs to do.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you have great plans for me.   Forgive me for the times that I try to manipulate your future for me…and get impatient. Help me to wait on you…to search for you with my whole heart….so you can give me the pieces of the puzzle that will eventually fit into the desire of my heart.  Give me new strength to wait…and use what I have in this moment to bloom where you have me right now…and learn the important things you need me to have to follow your perfect will.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment