Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Don't Ignore God's Counsel


Jeremiah 20:1-3 -  Now Pashhur son of Immer, the priest in charge of the Temple of the LORD, heard what Jeremiah was saying.  So he arrested Jeremiah the prophet and had him whipped and put in stocks at the Benjamin Gate of the LORD's Temple.  The next day, when Pashhur finally released him, Jeremiah said, "Pashhur, the LORD has changed your name. From now on you are to be called 'The Man Who Lives in Terror.'

 

Jeremiah was just obeying God and saying exactly what he was told to say.  His warnings met with such opposition that he was arrested…whipped and thrown in stocks over night. Even as he was released …Jeremiah let the priest who had him whipped and beaten know that God was not happy with the way he was acting.

 

Pashhur the priest was so locked in his selfish ways that he would rather lock one man up in hopes to shut him up rather than listen.  His mind and heart had convinced him so thoroughly that he was right…he justified punishing a truly righteous man.

 

Jeremiah’s words of warning went unheard…not because he did not obey God and say them…but because they fell on deaf ears….closed completely to anything God had to say.  The world so completely in charge of the people’s mind and heart that they did not even recognize God’s voice anymore.

 

It makes me wonder this morning just how many times God has sent a Jeremiah to me to warn me….and I turned a deaf ear…or dismissed it as a crazy thought.  I hope my not listening did not put anyone in harms way like Pashhur…but I bet I sure missed a blessing or two because I did not stop to really think and pray about what God sent them to say.

 

God uses the people he places around us…our prayers…and the study of his word to direct our paths.  I am reminded of David’s words in Psalm 32:8-9 …. “I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you. Do not be as the horse or as the mule which have no understanding, Whose trappings include bit and bridle to hold them in check, Otherwise they will not come near to you.…”

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am always under your watchful eye….and you are always looking out for my best interests.  Forgive me for all the times that I have ignored the counsel you have sent because it did not match what I thought was right.  Help me to really stop and pray about each voice you send…each scripture you allow my eyes to read…and each prayer that is lifted to teach me the way that I should go ….to stay in your perfect will for me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment