Sunday, September 7, 2014

Be Blessed...Plant Yourself Next To God


Jeremiah 17:7-8  -  "But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence.  They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they go right on producing delicious fruit."

 

Jeremiah’s message from God had two sides.  One side explained the curse that would happen to those that did not follow God’s law and love him with all their heart.  The other described how the person that stayed in God’s will would grow strong like a tree planted next to a river.

 

A tree that is planted on a river bank has a constant source of water. Its roots grow deep….the water it soaks up nourishing it to grow strong and healthy. Times of drought don’t bother it….even if the water in the river dries up…for its deep roots have tapped into the water table below the surface of what man can see.

 

It is a strong analogy of how I should plant myself as close to God’s source as I can. I should surround myself with the things that will help me grow those deep roots straight to God’s living water.  I need strong believers around me to pray with me and guide me when I get confused or let the world convince me I am alone.  I need to study the Bible and apply its truth to my life on a daily basis…so I know just which verse will send satan packing when he tries to trick me.  I need to visit with the father as many times a day as I feel pressured…so I can tap into his power and strength to keep going and not give up.

 

I needed the reminder….that God is just a thought away…especially when the pity parties threaten to become a daily thing.  He has been loading my head and heart with knowledge from his word every day…but my weakness is forgetting to stop and ask him to help me overcome the lonely thoughts that start my pity parties.  I have to learn to take those moments to God…like David did when he wrote all those great Psalms….like Daniel did when he got thrown in that lion’s den…like Paul did all those nights in prison. I guess in some ways…it’s like the roots he been growing in my life are there…I just forget that I can use them to tap into that living water.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I my weaknesses will remain weaknesses until I learn to take every moment of doubt and worry to your precious feet. Forgive me for forgetting so many times that you have been teaching me just how to tap into your power and strength….but I just don’t use it….for whatever reason. Help me to be more confident….to see the roots that you have been growing…to understand and trust that you are there no matter what feeling of loneliness I have…or what attacks my self-confidence.  Help me to use the roots you have grown in my life to find what I need to conquer the tricks of satan in my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment