Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Worry Less....Help More


Jeremiah 26:12-13 and 24  -  Then Jeremiah spoke in his own defense. "The LORD sent me to prophesy against this Temple and this city," he said. "The LORD gave me every word that I have spoken.  But if you stop your sinning and begin to obey the LORD your God, he will cancel this disaster that he has announced against you.

--- Ahikam son of Shaphan also stood with Jeremiah and persuaded the court not to turn him over to the mob to be killed.

 

It was one of Jeremiah’s darkest times.  He had done exactly what God had told him….spoke every single word he had been told to say.  But the crowd went haywire…formed a mob…and began to make plans to kill him. They would rather kill the messenger than change their lives.

 

The outcome looked grim for Jeremiah until some of the wiser elders of the church reminded the people that God had used Micah long ago to speak much the same thing.  Then a single man named Ahikam stood with Jeremiah and finally persuaded the mob to not kill him.

 

It is a reminder to me that when we are obedient…God will send us someone to stand with us and give us the support we need.  If he asks us to do something…and we do it….he will always provide what we need to get it done. God simply wasn’t through with Jeremiah yet….so he sent Ahikam to be his shield.

 

It’s also a reminder to me that I might be called to be an ‘Ahikam.’  God can give me the courage and strength I need to stand up for what is right when I see an obvious injustice around me. I might be the only one around some poor soul at his worst…to show the light of God….to give them just enough support to keep going till God has worked all he wants to work in their life.

 

Father…thank you for this reminder that you will always send to me exactly what I need…when I need it. Forgive me for the times that I have given up and not waited for you to work you bigger plan. Help me to be less worried about when and how you are going to help me…so you can use me to help others more often.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment