Monday, September 22, 2014

Nothing Is Too Hard For God


Jeremiah 32:14-17 - "The LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Take both this sealed deed and the unsealed copy, and put them into a pottery jar to preserve them for a long time.  For the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Someday people will again own property here in this land and will buy and sell houses and vineyards and fields."  Then after I had given the papers to Baruch, I prayed to the LORD: "O Sovereign LORD! You have made the heavens and earth by your great power. Nothing is too hard for you!

 

Jeremiah had been put in prison for continuing to speak the words of God. The king couldn’t deal with the fact that he was going to lose his city…and thought imprisoning the prophet would shut him up while he fought off Babylon’s army.  But the city was quickly losing to Babylon…and Jeremiah’s prophecy was coming true.

 

God spoke to him in prison…and told him to buy some land inside the city from his cousin. God told him to protect the deeds and paperwork for the land in jars of clay….so they would survive the long period of time that Jerusalem would be run by Babylon. So Jeremiah did as he was told…even though the land would be worthless for the 70 years that it was owned by a foreign army.

 

Jeremiah trusted God enough to do what seemed to be a moot point. He obeyed quickly….bought the land…put it in the jars of clay just as he was told.  He trusted the words that God was going to bring back his people…and the land he was told to buy would still belong to him …or even his children…when they returned.

 

I admit that I have trouble following the things that I am told to do…even when I can see them.  But Jeremiah seemed to have no trouble following these orders…knowing that God was letting his newly bought land be controlled by someone else…for at least 70 years. He falls in line with the other greats from the Bible.  There was David…who was told as a child he would be king…but suffered and waited many years to take the throne.  Even the great leader Moses…had to wonder as he listened to God out of a burning bush...just how he was going to lead the people he left so many years ago to freedom with just a stick.

 

This story reminds me that nothing is too hard for God.  His plans hardly ever work themselves out the way our human mind places the scenario. I have to keep going …even when it seems useless to my human heart and mind…cause God will do what he says.  God has tucked something wonderful in a jar of clay for me to open ….when he decides it is time.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  There are so many parts  of my being that I do not understand…but you made each one for a purpose…even when I can’t see it myself.   Help me to trust you more…to cling to your promise…instead of always needing to see a glimpse like Thomas.  Help me to hear clearly what I need to put in my clay jars for the future that you have planned for me.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment