Saturday, September 13, 2014

We Are All Leaders...Think Responsible


Jeremiah 23:1-2 -  "I will send disaster upon the leaders of my people -- the shepherds of my sheep -- for they have destroyed and scattered the very ones they were expected to care for," says the LORD. This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says to these shepherds: "Instead of leading my flock to safety, you have deserted them and driven them to destruction. Now I will pour out judgment on you for the evil you have done to them.

 

Jeremiah was sent to speak some harsh words to the leaders of God’s people who had led them the wrong way.  They had the people believing that God condoned adultery…wasting the land for pure profit…worshiping idols…sacrificing their children to gods like Baal…and just plain being dishonest to gain an advantage over anyone that had what they wanted.  God’s words were clear…he had had enough…they would be judged harshly.

 

At first reading I thought of the crazy world of politicians and how things haven’t changed much. The world is still filled with people who would rather get ahead and earn a buck…than keep the promises they make to get our vote.  Integrity is hard to find in most leaders…they all have dirty laundry that someone can dig up.

 

But then I just happen to look in the mirror…and I began to think that this message wasn’t just for the ‘named’ leaders of a country…of a city….of a building of any kind…..for we are all leaders in some way of others.  The question quickly formed in my mind …. “who has God placed in my leadership….and have I been responsible in leading them the way God wants them to go?”

 

I know my path crosses daily with many adults….but the majority of my time is spent at school….with pre-teens that live in a very confused world.  This message is a great reminder to me to be more careful what I say….and how I say it…so I am not leading any of them astray.  The words of Jesus were very strong in Matthew 18:6….  “"If anyone causes one of these little ones--those who believe in me--to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.”

 

Jesus warned us many places about false prophets…they are the ones that take scripture out of context….like we are warned in 2 Peter 3:16…. “ speaking of these things in all of his letters. Some of his comments are hard to understand, and those who are ignorant and unstable have twisted his letters around to mean something quite different from what he meant, just as they do the other parts of Scripture -- and the result is disaster for them.”

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to be more careful to study your word and ask your will before I decide to share anything about your way with others.  Forgive me for the times that I jump into discussions because I think I know...then stumble because I don’t know your word strong enough.  Help me to retain the great truths you are revealing to me each day as I read your Bible…and help me recall the parts I need to help the people that you lead me to the truth. And God…bless me the most when I am in that classroom that you asked me to teach in….help me to shine  your love and ease some of the pain and confusion they bring to my room.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment