Saturday, September 27, 2014

Your Relationship With God Is Full Time


Jeremiah 37:2-3 - Neither he nor his attendants nor the people of the land paid any attention to the words the LORD had spoken through Jeremiah the prophet.  King Zedekiah, however, sent Jehucal son of Shelemiah with the priest Zephaniah son of Maaseiah to Jeremiah the prophet with this message: "Please pray to the LORD our God for us."

 

God had been telling them for a long time that the only way to stop Babylon from taking over the city was to repent and begin to worship him again.  They had turned a deaf ear to everything God had told them…and continued to do whatever they wanted. But when things got really bad…they sent a message to Jeremiah to pray to God for them.

 

Jeremiah was told to tell the king that things had not changed…and Babylon was still going to take over the city.  Then he left Jerusalem to go visit some of the tribe of Benjamin. The king called him a traitor…believing he was going to go join the Babylonians. He refused to believe Jeremiah and had him thrown in a dark dungeon under an official’s house.

 

Even in the dungeon…the king continued to ask Jeremiah in private….what God’s new messages might be. But Jeremiah still told the truth…knowing that he might end up being thrown back in the terrible dungeon.

 

The king in the story reminds me of how I get sometimes.  My selfish nature takes over…my Bible study time shortens…life distracts me from taking time to really pray in a focused way about anything other than what is brought to my attention that day. I let life make more of my decisions than I do God…and when I finally realize how long it’s been since I had had a good …long….talk with God….things have gotten a bit out of control.

 

We want all of God’s blessings…but we don’t always want to do anything to have them. We conjure up in our heads that following his complete will is crazy…or radical….or too much work. Instead of using faith to just go ahead and do what God has told us is right…we let life direct us to long in the wrong direction.

 

I am realizing that it takes more strength and energy to turn around and fix the mistakes I made than to have just gone ahead and done it the way God wanted in the first place. How many times have I made God gently shake his head at my disbelief…and ignored his words that I need more faith. I need to be more like Daniel….the boy he raises up later in this story.  God told him in Daniel 10:12… “Then he continued, "Do not be afraid, Daniel. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them.” God is right beside me…he has been there since the day I asked him to live in my heart. He has a plan…and I keep messing it up.  I need to just let go and let him do what he needs to do…so he doesn’t have to keep forgiving me for messing it up.

 

Father…thank you for reminding me that I need to be more consistent in my relationship with you. Forgive me for letting life unfocus my heart and mind off of your purposes and plan for me. Help me to find a way to let you direct my ways more than the worries of the day I experience. Show me how to use my time more wisely to search for you and do the things you have planned for me to do to help others. Take me deeper into your word than ever before…and let my prayers take longer and be more focused on asking  you to intercede for the needs of others around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment