Thursday, September 25, 2014

Say No...With Love And Kindness


Jeremiah 35:5-7 -  I set cups and jugs of wine before them and invited them to have a drink,  but they refused. "No," they said. "We don't drink wine, because Jehonadab son of Recab, our ancestor, gave us this command: 'You and your descendants must never drink wine.  And do not build houses or plant crops or vineyards, but always live in tents. If you follow these commands, you will live long, good lives in the land.'

 

Jeremiah had been told by God to invite a clan of people to the Temple and serve them wine. He knew that these Recabites had taken a serious oath to never drink….and had kept their promise for hundreds of years… through several generations.   God wanted to use their obedience and faith in the promise of God as a model for the rest of the Israelites. He wanted them to know that it was possible to make a promise and keep it forever.

 

When we take God into our heart…he changes the passion we have for things that are not his will. The basic ten commandments are written on our heart…and we are supposed to use them to make all our other decisions. Our relationships with others should change and be less selfish.  The passion he planted deep within us to keep those rules…should power our ability to say no to the things we know are not his will.

 

The road map he gave us is clear…our heart just has trouble staying focused in a world where everyone hasn’t made the same promises to God. We have dissected the Bible…and twisted the rules so many times that even for the strongest Christian…they seem blurry and imprecise. Sometimes the problem isn’t saying no…it is what to say no too. Sometimes the problem isn’t always what to say no too…it’s how to say no without hurting someone else’s feelings….or telling them you think their theology is not in line with the Bible.

 

The story reminds me this morning that love must rule everything we do. The Racabites did not go into a frenzy on Jeremiah for having wine in the Temple.  They did not try to force their promise onto him.   They politely said…no thanks…and explained why they could not join him in a drink. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 says…. “Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud  or rude. Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged.”

 

Father…thank you for reminding me to revisit the promises I made to you in my lifetime…and make sure that I am keeping those vows to you pure.  Forgive me for all the times that I have broken my promise and help me to search deep in my heart for the ones I need to ask you for a do over.  Thank you also for reminding me that I was the one who made the promise…that when I say no thank you…my words must model your love and patience with others who have not made the same vows. Show me how to be less condemning and more patient and kind.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment