Tuesday, September 23, 2014

God's Greatest Promise Is Yet To Come


Jeremiah 33:1-3 -  While Jeremiah was still confined in the courtyard of the guard, the LORD gave him this second message: "The LORD, the Maker of the heavens and earth -- the LORD is his name -- says this:  Ask me and I will tell you some remarkable secrets about what is going to happen here.

 

Jeremiah…lifelong servant and prophet of God….sitting in jail for being obedient…still listened intently to the words of God that came to his ear.  God continually restored his hope in the future with tidbits of goodness throughout the time that God allowed him to be confined. 

 

It must have brought so much hope to his heart to know some of the secrets of what was to happen in the future.  So much of Jeremiah’s life was filled with delivering words of judgment and sorrow ….that these words during his imprisonment must hast been like rain after a long drought. God shared with him some of the amazing things that God had in store for rebuilding Jerusalem.  He shared with Jeremiah in a small way the plans he had for saving the whole world.

 

It reminds me that no matter how bad things get in our life….we are promised new hope for the future if we keep our eyes on God. It reminds me that God always entertains the question… “Ask me and I will tell you some remarkable secrets about what is going to happen here?”

 

I call those moments ‘God Winks.’  They come in God’s perfect timing….a glimpse of the good we have done…or the life we may have touched for God. They may be an unexpected compliment.  They may be a comment on a post that touched someone…that you thought had no meaning.  They may be the student you didn’t teach at all recognizing you while shopping and telling you how wonderful they heard you were as a teacher. They all bring a smile to your face…and deposit just enough strength and joy to keep you going till God has brought you through the struggle you are facing.

 

Revelation is full of the greatest ‘God winks’ of all.  The best is yet to come!  God’s greatest promise has yet to be brought into being.  He is coming back…and if I finish my race here on earth before he comes back I will meet him in heaven and get to watch it from the best stadium ever built.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that you are planning the best future for all of us who chose to believe.  Forgive me for letting  life sometimes weigh me down with things that really don’t matter.  Help me keep my eyes on you and run my race like Paul…just to finish….and make you proud of the times I have gotten it right.  Help me to get it right more often….so I notice more of those ‘God winks’ you send to show me the good you help me do when I am listening.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment