Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Is Pride Rotting Your Heart?


Jeremiah 13: 9-11 - "The LORD says: This illustrates how I will rot away the pride of Judah and Jerusalem.  These wicked people refuse to listen to me. They stubbornly follow their own desires and worship idols. Therefore, they will become like this linen belt -- good for nothing!  As a belt clings to a person's waist, so I created Judah and Israel to cling to me," says the LORD. "They were to be my people, my pride, my glory -- an honor to my name. But they would not listen to me."

 

Jeremiah had been given a powerful visual by obeying God one more time.  The new loin cloth he wore close to him for a time…was buried in a hole in the river.  God told him to go get it out after a time had passed…and it had rotted into a useless garment. It became Jeremiah’s visual to speak to the people about the pride they had let rot their hearts.

 

God longed for the time that his people were drawn close to him….when he had complete control of their lives the way he did Jeremiah’s. But they had left God…buried their love for him somewhere else….started worshiping idols. They exchanged their need for God with selfish pride.

 

My Life Application Bible gave 5 real dangers to letting pride rot our hearts.  Once pride is in control…we begin to look down on others. Then we begin to let those selfish motives rule our choices with the resources God gives us. If that’s not bad enough…we begin to force our solutions as ways to solve everyone’s problems. Another danger is that we think that God’s blessings on our lives come because we have earned them. The worst danger is that we eventually take control of our lives from God…and stop seeking him for anything.

 

The one good thing about letting your heart become rotted with pride is that the great physician can still fix it.  He can take that blood he shed on the cross and wash us clean of all these ways that pride has damaged us….IF…..we repent of our sin and confess it before him.  Our heart comes out of the mess we made it looking like new. Jesus let John 14:6 record his own words…it says….  “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

 

Seems like God is repeating a lot of things he has told me in the past lately. I sure needed this one again. I needed this reminder that pride is always lurking close by….ready to sneak into your heart.  It is hardly noticeable till it has already rotted quite a bit of your heart.  I struggle with it daily…even minute by minute….and am so glad that God won’t let it abide in my heart for very long before he brings my attention to it.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I must always watch out for pride to try and sneak back into my heart.  Forgive me for not noticing it quick enough …or seeing through the many disguises it wears to trick me into thinking that it is something good.  Help me to wash my own feet each morning with a heaping dose of humility.  Help me to listen to you tell me exactly what to do…so satan cannot confuse me with anything that is not from you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment