Friday, September 26, 2014

God's Word Will Never Be Destroyed


Jeremiah 36:26-28 -  Then the king commanded his son Jerahmeel, Seraiah son of Azriel, and Shelemiah son of Abdeel to arrest Baruch and Jeremiah. But the LORD had hidden them.  After the king had burned Jeremiah's scroll, the LORD gave Jeremiah another message. He said,  "Get another scroll, and write everything again just as you did on the scroll King Jehoiakim burned.

 

Jeremiah had been told to write down all the things God had told him about the future. God wanted everyone to hear the complete recording…to help them see the bleak future they would have if they did not repent so God could forgive them. Jeremiah picked his friend and secretary Baruch to write it all down as he dictated the words he had heard from God.

 

When they were through….Jeremiah picked the fasting period of December when the Temple would be full of worshipers….and sent him to there to read it.  Many officials heard it and were so frightened they decided the king should hear it too.  The king was so frightened…he burned it piece by piece in his fireplace after it was read.

 

God had hid Jeremiah and Baruch from danger and simply had them record the messages again…and even add some harsh new words for the king who had dared to burn God’s words…thinking that burning them would keep them from coming true.

 

It is a reminder to me that God’s word will stand forever…no matter what man does to try and alter it…lessen its message…or prevent others from seeing the truth. This truth is recorded more than one place in God’s word. Psalm 119:89 says…. “ Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.”  1 Peter 1:25 says …. “but the word of the Lord endures forever." And this is the word that was preached to you.”  These claims are based on Isaiah 40:8 which states…. “The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever."

 

It is also a reminder to me that when I am doing God’s will he will protect and cover me. My job is to be obedient…he will take care of the rest. He can use me in locked up prison…he will send me a secretary if I cannot read or write…and he will give me the wisdom to know how to do everything he asks me to do and the resources to do it with. I can run like Jonah…but eventually he will work out his plan…whether I choose to be a part of the blessing or not.

 

Father… thank you for the reminder that your word cannot be destroyed.  Forgive me if I have ever tried to ignore or discount what you have said.  Help me to have the courage and faith of Jeremiah…and allow you to use me like Baruch….to simply speak what you want spoken. Help me be one of the few people who listen to your words and always ask your forgiveness when they speak of things I have done wrong.  Help me rest in your protection and love when you ask me to do something that only I understand. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment