Thursday, September 11, 2014

God Is Not A Temporary Resource....Just When We Need Him


Jeremiah 21:1-2-  The LORD spoke through Jeremiah when King Zedekiah sent Pashhur son of Malkijah and Zephaniah son of Maaseiah, the priest, to speak with him. They begged Jeremiah,  "Please ask the LORD to help us. King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon has begun his attack on Judah. Perhaps the LORD will be gracious and do a mighty miracle as he has done in the past. Perhaps he will force Nebuchadnezzar to withdraw his armies."

 

King Zedekiah realized he did not have enough forces to withstand an attack from King Nebuchadnezzar’s army….  so he sent his priests to ask Jeremiah to intercede for them to God.  He somehow expected God to be gracious…and perform some miracle to protest and save them from destruction.

 

Jeremiah was quick to relay God’s words of finality to them…that because they had not decided to follow God’s ways…and turn back to him…God would not help them this time.  God was going to let them make a choice….stay in the city and die from the effects of the war….or give themselves up to the Chaldeans and live in captivity for a time.

 

It is a reminder to me to keep my relationship with God growing ….to ask him for his help all the time…and not wait till I am in a mess to call out his name.  To never go back to the time in my life that I left God behind….and went my own direction.  I loved him….I knew who he was….but my visits with him were surface at best….and many days apart. I waited….like the king….till things were so bad I had to call out his name for help.

 

Here’s the thing that is so cool about God.  He did help me….he took me back with open arms as soon as I confessed that I had messed up…and promised to try harder to keep him first in my life.  All the consequences of my self-made problem did not disappear…but God is helping me to work through all of them and turn them into new strengths in my character.

 

God gives each of us a choice every day.   To live the way the Bible guides us….to come and meet with him in prayer and study more than once a day.  To call on him for every choice we have to make and stay in his will…..OR risk stepping out on our own and making another mess of things.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need you all the time…not just when things get really bad. Forgive me for all the times that I have left you out of my life…and gone my own selfish way.  Help me to find new ways to talk with you throughout my day…and keep your thoughts in the front of my brain…so I will make more of the right choices that will keep me in your will. Show me how to strengthen my relationship to you so that you become a part of everything that I do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment