Monday, August 19, 2013

Are You One Of The 19% ?


2 Chronicles 17:7-9 - In the third year of his reign he sent his officials Ben-Hail, Obadiah, Zechariah, Nethanel and Micaiah to teach in the towns of Judah.  With them were certain Levites--Shemaiah, Nethaniah, Zebadiah, Asahel, Shemiramoth, Jehonathan, Adonijah, Tobijah and Tob-Adonijah--and the priests Elishama and Jehoram.  They taught throughout Judah, taking with them the Book of the Law of the LORD; they went around to all the towns of Judah and taught the people.  

 

Asa’s son Jehoshaphat became king of Judah after his father died.  He remembered the love his father had for God in his early years …and purged the land of the idols that had become a part of the people’s lives. He realized in the third year of his reign …that purging the land of idols… was not enough to develop a passion for God in their lives.  So he began a program of Bible study…and taught the people the laws that God had given Moses.

 

No wonder the people were so hard to convert back to God….my Life Application Bible said they had become Bible illiterate.  They were totally oblivious of the importance of Bible study in their lives. They had completely forgotten God’s words from Deuteronomy 6:6-9…  “These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.”

 

It must have been a problem again later in history…when Paul was preaching.  He said in 2 Timothy 3:14-17, "But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

 

We might as well be talking about Christians today. And yes…I googled to see if there were any stats on the subject.  According to an 2012 article in Christianity Today….a survey that targeted the amount of "Bible engagement" asked more than 2,900 Protestant churchgoers about their study habits and found that while 90 percent "desire to please and honor Jesus in all I do," only 19 percent personally read the Bible every day.

 

Even in my sleepy and sometimes drowsy state…most working mornings at 5 am….God fills my heart with courage …and hope when I am completely broken.  He gives me direction for each new day. He tells me what I am doing wrong when I get off his planned route for my life…and humbles me when I get a little too confident. I encourage you to be one of the 19% that talk with God each day…by reading the great guide book he left for us.  Maybe if we encourage others to read it too….we can increase that 19% to a much greater number.

 

Father…I thank you for the many hours you must have poured your word into the many writers you chose to record the Bible for you.  Help me to renew my passion to study it daily…and never become complacent…or allow it to become just a routine. Show me ways to share it with others…like Jehosaphat…so they will see the strength and power it can bring to their lives.  Help me to follow the commands you recorded in Deuteronomy…and place them forever in my heart…and talk about them with everyone I meet.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment