Saturday, August 31, 2013

It Only Took One Person


2 Chronicles 29:35-36 -   There were burnt offerings in abundance, together with the fat of the fellowship offerings and the drink offerings that accompanied the burnt offerings. So the service of the temple of the LORD was reestablished.  Hezekiah and all the people rejoiced at what God had brought about for his people, because it was done so quickly.

 

The rein of Ahaz was over….his death ending a great period of evil for Judah…because somehow his son Hezekiah had learned the importance of worshipping God.  The first day of his appointment as king he called to together the Levites and leaders and told them he was dedicating his life and nation once again to God.

 

It was the picture of a great revival….a scurry of activity as they cleaned up the Temple that had been left to decay and brought sacrifices to ask God’s forgiveness and mercy for their long period of sin.  Musicians were charged to sing and play as they worshiped God…once again filling the Temple with an adoration of the God who had brought them together as a nation.

 

The work went quickly…the people eager to throw off the sin that Ahaz had led them into…anxious to have God start building them up in his love once more…more than willing to leave the idols and gods of the past that had gotten them nothing but pain and suffering. Ahaz offered many offering on his own…but the people came on their own after to offer their own sacrifices and offering to ask God to forgive them for abandoning him.

 

It only took one person…a leader who somehow remembered what it was like when God was in charge. He gave the leaders and priests new courage and purpose…and renewed their passion to complete the job they had been chosen for. And as the people watched them clean and repair the temple ….flames of the fire jumped into the hearts of those who watched…and spread it throughout the nation till everyone had been touched by the renewal of God’s glory in the Temple.

 

Revival is what happens when we spend our time spreading the great news of what God has done in our lives…instead of always talking about the negative things that seem to pile up and bring us down.  When we ignore the negatives…and find something positive to share…the negatives simply die away….and the positives build and build into a glorious story of faith and courage. We are renewed and strengthened in our faith…and God does even more miraculous things in our lives for us to share with others.

 

I needed a reminder to ponder the positive things God has done for me….because my anniversary is tomorrow…and the sadness threatens me greatly this weekend.  If I ponder it very long… it will overcome me and bring me down. So I will take the hint form God this morning…and thank him instead for the wonderful 4 months he granted me with my Mitchell…and let my tears be few. I will thank him for giving me the strength to move forward and find a new purpose…I will praise him for all the other blessings and gifts that mean so much in my life.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that I must concentrate on the positive things that you have done for me.  Thank you for the gift of Mitchell …and the short 4 months we shared.  Help me to center my life around you…and continue to search your word for purpose and meaning. Help me to be a Hezekiah….and call to others to renew their love for you…..and share the gospel with those who don’t know you at all.  Show me anything that is still displeasing to you in my life that I need to clean up…so I can draw even closer to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment