Friday, August 16, 2013

God Gives Inner Peace


2 Chronicles 14:11-12 - Then Asa called to the LORD his God and said, "LORD, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army. O LORD, you are our God; do not let man prevail against you."  The LORD struck down the Cushites before Asa and Judah. The Cushites fled

 

King Abijah’s son Asa took the throne when his father died.   He went straight to work destroying the idols that that his father had allowed to pull the people’s heart away from God in his later years as king.  He demanded that the people follow the commands of God…and spent his time fortifying and building up the cities. God gave him peace in the land…for 10 long years.

 

The obedience of Asa to God’s laws…also fortified his soul. The inner peace that God placed in his heart built a courage and confidence that gave him victory over his enemies.  When the huge Cushite army rallied against him…he dropped to his knees and cried out to God. He knew his small army had no chance of winning a battle against this mighty foe on his own…so he admitted his weakness before God…and called out to him for help.

 

That’s exactly what Paul is talking about in 2 Corinthians 12:9… “But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.” He suffered from what he called his ‘thorn’…and pleaded with God to take it away.  But God in his great wisdom…never took it away…so Paul would always remember where his bread was buttered. Paul learned firsthand that his weakness increased God’s power to use us…and always centered our minds on God’s power…not our own.

 

I have seen a glimpse of that special inner peace…it keeps me moving forward in my search for God’s will in my life. I sure couldn’t wake up each morning and head to this computer and write every day on my own power. I would still be having a big ole pity party…crying over the loss of my Mitchell…letting satan trick me into a life of bitterness…and sadness. But God gives me new each day… a peace about my loss…and has even used my weakness and pain to draw me closer to him than I ever knew one could be.  He has used my time since Mitchell died to help me search his word…and fortify my soul with his strength and wisdom.

 

Thank you God…for the peace and strength you give me in my pain and loss. I LOVE YOU so much more today than I did before. Continue to give me strength...even amid the tears that come when I remember the sweet blessing you allowed in my life for such a short time.  Help me to always rely on you for what I need…and not be drawn back into the world of materialism and idols…that satan can use to trick me into thinking that I could do anything without you.  Give me even a new strength…courage…and boldness….to share what you have done for me with others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment