Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Pride....The Devil's Candy


2 Chronicles 26:15-16 -  In Jerusalem he made machines designed by skillful men for use on the towers and on the corner defenses to shoot arrows and hurl large stones. His fame spread far and wide, for he was greatly helped until he became powerful.  But after Uzziah became powerful, his pride led to his downfall. He was unfaithful to the LORD his God, and entered the temple of the LORD to burn incense on the altar of incense.

 

Uzziah was crowned king at just 16 years old.  He established himself as a powerful king…rebuilding cities….organizing the army…and pleasing God with his obedience of the rules Moses had given the people. He listened to the prophet Zechariah …eager to please God with the prophets directions. The early years of his reign were picture perfect….allowing him to soak up the blessings of God.

 

But sometime after his fame soaked his life with blessings…he forgot the rules of the Temple.  He went one day to worship…and burned his own incense on the holy altar reserved for the priests alone. His arrogance continued when he was reminded by the priests to leave…and God struck him with leprosy when he refused in indignant anger. His one act of arrogance and pride remembered above all the good he accomplished during his reign.

 

This is not the only place in the Bible that warns us to guard our hearts from pride. In Proverbs 16:18 Solomon’s wisdom says… “ Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” And Hannah’s beautiful prayer of dedication to God when she took Samuel to the Temple included these words… “ "Do not keep talking so proudly or let your mouth speak such arrogance, for the LORD is a God who knows, and by him deeds are weighed.”

 

I am also reminded of Moses…who walked side by side with God…even sitting with him on the mountain to receive his rules.  But one day…in his frustration and anger…he let pride cause him to strike a rock instead of speak to it….and died with just a vision of the land God had used him to lead his people to. He died never placing his feet on the promised land of God…because of one simple disobedient action.

 

It is a strong reminder to me to never allow the blessings in my life control my actions or my thoughts. Everything I have is God’s…to be used according to his will and purpose for my life.  The more we have…the more we run the risk of thinking that we can make it on our own.  The more he gives us...the easier it is for satan to sneak into our heart and twist our thinking into doing things the way we want…instead of the way God has told us too.

 

Father…thank you for this story that reminds me how important it is that I guard my heart from pride.  You have blessed me with so much…and I thank you for each and every thing that has made my life so rich with your love and care.  Help me keep  in the forefront of my mind…just where all these things came from…so I can stand strong against satan when he whispers in my ear to try to be my own boss.  Help me to remember the disaster my life was when I tried to do things without you…and hold your hand even tighter as you help me grow. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment