Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Secret to Happiness....Security...And True Justice


1 Chronicles 28:8-9 -  So now, with God as our witness, I give you this charge for all Israel, the LORD's assembly: Be careful to obey all the commands of the LORD your God, so that you may possess this good land and leave it to your children as a permanent inheritance.  "And Solomon, my son, get to know the God of your ancestors. Worship and serve him with your whole heart and with a willing mind. For the LORD sees every heart and understands and knows every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him. But if you forsake him, he will reject you forever.

 

David knew it was time to step down off the throne.  He was old…and knew he had fulfilled all that God had told him to do….so he gathered the political leaders….religious leaders….and all that he had given duties at the palace or palace grounds.  Then he addressed them with a speech that reminded all who were present of the great God they worshiped….making sure to explain that he was stepping down as king…and passing his crown to his son Solomon.

 

David’s charge to his son as he was passed the full responsibility of being king …reminded them all that he had been given all the plans to the temple…how he had collected all that they would need…and why God had chosen Solomon to build it.  Then he charged his son to chase after God with all his heart and soul…to get to know him…worship him…..serve him…with a willingness to learn all that he could. 

 

David was imparting to his son the secret of his own happiness….security…and sense that God had been just and merciful to him.  He knew that Solomon would need to rely on the same source of power if he were to be successful in the job God had given him to do. David knew that we have to seek God…if we are to find him a presence in our lives.

 

God doesn’t just sit at our doorstep and hope we trip over him…he requires us to develop a personal relationship with him through prayer….Bible study….and worship at a church.  We need to build around us people who love God…and model for us how to love him only….people who will provide fellowship and a safe worship environment.  We need to develop a prayer routine that gives us a daily time to talk to who should be our best friend….and find a consistent time to study his word…every day.  We need to memorize the passages that will give us the strength we need …when satan comes around to try and trick us away from spending time with our Lord.

 

I can testify to how God has changed my life ….given me strength beyond what I ever imagined…even through the darkest valleys of life….because I have learned to sit down with his word EVERY evening 3 years ago.  I simply can’t sleep…till I spend some time reading a chapter from the book of directions he gave us to live by. The quiet time I spend in the morning…allowing God to help me understand what wisdom I might need each morning to help me grow is the most precious time of the day….the icing on the cake so to speak. I truly can’t imagine how dark my life would be if I had not begun to chase God….and seek him each day.

 

I will admit that I am still working on the prayer part of our relationship…trying to make it a more consistent… deeper… more unselfish time with God.  I am good at shouting to God all my needs…and lifting up the needs of my friends…talking TO him is not a problem.   LISTENING….to his voice is where I need to grow….so I can be confident …like David…that what I have done is because the Holy Spirit gave it to me to do.

 

Father…thank you for this great father David…who learned through the mistakes of his own life that you should be his best friend…and he should spend more time with you than anybody.  Thank you for recording his charge to his son…as he passed the crown of Israel to him the day he stepped down as king.  Help me to chase after you the way he told Solomon to seek you…with my whole heart….all of my mind….and my thirsty soul.  Keep my passion strong to study your Bible…..and open wide my ears to help me listen to your Holy Spirit tell me how to fulfill your will for my life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment