Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Watch Your Step.....Least You Fall


2 Chronicles 19:1-3 - When Jehoshaphat king of Judah returned safely to his palace in Jerusalem,  Jehu the seer, the son of Hanani, went out to meet him and said to the king, "Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the LORD? Because of this, the wrath of the LORD is upon you.  There is, however, some good in you, for you have rid the land of the Asherah poles and have set your heart on seeking God."

 

Jehoshaphat had heard a clear word from God and ignored him.  He had not only made a pact of marriage with the evil king Ahab of Israel…he had gone into battle with him against the counsel of God’s prophet.   God wasted no time sending Jehu to meet him…to tell him how angry he had made the God he was supposed to have loved with all his heart and soul and mind.

 

The really unbelievable twist to this story is that God allowed Jehoshaphat to return from this battle uninjured. God’s message of judgment received humbly….he reflected on how he could do better…and took steps to stay away from the influences that had led his heart astray in Israel. He appointed new judges in all the land…and told them to be careful not to be swayed by man….and to be very afraid to give anyone counsel that they had not received directly from God.

 

My heart knew instantly that Jehosaphats words to the new judges were a direct reminder to me from God last night.  And as I reflect even more this morning…God is allowing all the mistakes I made in the realm of honesty and truth to wash through my mind. I talk a good talk…but satan snunk in…and tricked me into more than one lie this week.  

 

The amazing thing is the wash of fresh peace I have…that God has forgiven me already. He might call me to right the deceptions …and make amends to anyone I may have hurt with my dishonesty….but he has already patted me on the shoulder...and told me he stills loves me unconditionally. And he will give me the strength to do better today.

 

Father…I am amazed at the mercy and love you show to me in spite of my many mistakes. Thank you for reminding me that my lifelong struggle with honesty is still an issue in my life.  And thank you for the awesome peace and comfort your forgiveness brings. Plant firmly the words of Jehosaphat so deep inside my heart that satan cannot shake them loose this time…and make me fearless in my stand for honesty and truth. Use me to help and encourage the innocent…and give me soft words of rebuke to counsel the guilty. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment