Sunday, August 11, 2013

Can You Answer The Hard Questions?


2 Chronicles 9:1-2 -   When the queen of Sheba heard of Solomon's fame, she came to Jerusalem to test him with hard questions. Arriving with a very great caravan--with camels carrying spices, large quantities of gold, and precious stones--she came to Solomon and talked with him about all she had on her mind.  Solomon answered all her questions; nothing was too hard for him to explain to her.

 

Solomon’s wisdom was well known around the world. Kings from around the world came to bring him annual tribute. This queen…from the country of Sheba….probably came from an area close to Yemen. She brought with her the curiosity of a cat….asking hard questions of Solomon…to test the knowledge he claimed to have. She found the report of his wisdom to be true….and praised God…the source of his greatness.

 

Solomon answered every hard question she asked of him….nothing she asked was hidden from his understanding.  God gave him just the right answers to show her the true source of Solomon’s wisdom and greatness. Solomon’s answers…the beauty and majesty of the Temple….and the vast rich resources  God had placed around him as the ruler of Israel completely overwhelmed the queen.

 

My life application Bible posed this question as I finished my reading last night. When people ask you hard questions….or any question about God…are we studied enough to give them God’s wisdom like Solomon?   I am pretty sure that Solomon did not wake up one day from total ignorance…completely filled with all the wisdom he asked for.  He must have studied to show himself approved…like Paul told us in 2 Timothy 2:15.

 

If I ask myself that question…I have to be honest and admit I fall way short. I wasted so many years…letting my Bible sit on a dusty shelf…or lay under a mess in my car.  I faked it real good…God allowing me to recall a few of the things I had learned as a child growing up in church….but I sure missed more answers than I got right.

 

I am trying to catch up….but one chapter a night makes for a long 2 and one half years completely through this great book he left us.  I thank God for the commentaries I find on the internet…and the search engines that help me research the things I don’t know yet…and friends and teachers at my church who are helping me to soak in even more of the wisdom I missed because I allowed satan to convince me I knew enough.

 

I am finding that I am honored as much as Solomon…for God does not hide his heart from me when I ask.  I have become his Queen Sheba…and God is my Solomon.  I can ask him anything…and when he thinks I am ready…he allows me to see his great love and purpose.  I too am overwhelmed at his great wisdom and love for me…I just can’t get enough.

 

Father…thank you for this story that reminds me to study and show myself approved unto you…so that I may rightly impart your great love and commands to others when they question me about my faith.  Help me to grow up some day…and understand as Solomon did….that all the answers to every question…that anyone could ever ask…are hidden in God’s great love.  Help me to find time to study and unlock all that knowledge …so you can place it firmly in my heart….so you can use me like you did Solomon to share your great plan for life with others. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment