Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Half Full....Or Half Empty


2 Chronicles 251-2 - Amaziah was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother's name was Jehoaddin; she was from Jerusalem.  He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, but not wholeheartedly.
 
Joash’s son Amaziah became king after his father’s death. He avenged his father’s murderers and organized the army….even hiring extra men from Israel to fight with him.  But God sent a prophet to warn him that he would not go fight with him if he took the Israelites. Amaziah complained about all the money he paid them…but told them to go home…and sulked over his losses.
 
His halfhearted love for God did not register the wrong in bringing back some of the foreign idols as spoils of the war.  Their influence caused him to ignore God’s warning that they were sinful….and he ended up a prisoner …held captive the rest of his life after he lost his next battle to the king of Israel.
 
The prophet Hosea warned against being a halfhearted follower of God in Hosea 7.  He called the Israelites …flat cakes…not turned over…half-baked and useless.  Three men turned away from following Jesus in Luke 9:57-62…when he explained the high cost of leaving everything…even family to follow him to the cross.  John heard in his vision...and recorded in Revelation 3:15-16 the warning to never be lukewarm…. “ I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!  So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth.”
 
I can’t say that I have sold out completely to God.... and I am sitting here...pondering just how vulnerable I am to satan attacks because of my half-hearted effort to please him. God sees straight into my heart and knows the motivation for everything act of kindness I have ever done.  He has looked over my shoulder and watched me write each tithe check or offering…he has used his supernatural vision and hearing to eavesdrop on every conversation I have cut short cause I was busy. I had better be more careful…and aware of my own heart when I do things…cause I sure don’t want to be spit out....I know I could never have made it without God holding my hand.
 
Father…thank you for reminding me that I must not let my heart become even the slightest bit cold.  I need you to add some fuel to the fire that burns in my soul…so it never gets lukewarm.  Cook me perfect on one side…then flip me over and continue to cook me tilI am ready for you to use.  Show me how to leave the worldly things that will not help me be a better child of yours behind…and follow you like the disciples did so long ago. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment