Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Follow God's Rules....Exactly


2 Chronicles 4:7-9 -  Solomon then cast ten gold lampstands according to the specifications that had been given and put them in the Temple. Five were placed against the south wall, and five were placed against the north wall.  He also built ten tables and placed them in the Temple, five along the south wall and five along the north wall. Then he molded one hundred gold basins.  Solomon also built a courtyard for the priests and the large outer courtyard. He made doors for the courtyard entrances and overlaid them with bronze.

 

As Solomon was building the temple…he referred often to the plans God had given Moses on Mount Sinai.  He followed directions completely…..making everything the priests would need to offer sacrifices to God…making sure it was from the finest gold and bronze.   He built the inner court for the priests to worship…and even made sure the people who came to offer thanks and bring sin offerings to God had a place to offer their praise and prayers before leaving the temple.

 

Perhaps that is one reason that Solomon was so blessed as a young king.  His knowledge of the words God gave to Moses were so deeply embedded in his heart that he dared not stray from exactly what they told him to do.  The last words of his father must have constantly urged him to continue to follow all the Lord’s commands…and walk carefully in his ways…..so his family could continue to rule the land of Israel.

 

I have to admit my failings in this area…for I am prone to want my own way…and take short cuts from point A to point B.  It makes me wonder just how many blessings I missed because I got in a hurry and did things my own way. Like Sarah…waiting is not my best character trait.  I tend to find ways to help God along….and make a mess with the plans he had for me in the process.

 

I need to be more like Solomon…and follow God’s word more closely.  I need to heed the words of Paul to Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:15…and study to show myself approved unto God…so I can be his workman ….proud of the work  he has given me to do…because it is based solely on the truth.  Paul had just told his friend in 2 Timothy 2:5 …. “Follow the Lord's rules for doing his work, just as an athlete either follows the rules or is disqualified and wins no prize.”

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that my study of your word means nothing if I do not follow what it says for me to do.  Help me to understand each passage you allowed to be recorded in your great Bible…so that I can develop a passion to follow its plan for my life exactly…and stop trying to insert my own ideas and wishes.  Grant me the peace that surpasses understanding when you ask me to wait on you….so I don’t make any more messes…and the blessings you have planned for me are not diluted with my selfishness and pride. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment