Friday, August 30, 2013

Save An Ahaz....Testify Of God's Greatness


2 Chronicles 28:22-23 -   In his time of trouble King Ahaz became even more unfaithful to the LORD.  He offered sacrifices to the gods of Damascus, who had defeated him; for he thought, "Since the gods of the kings of Aram have helped them, I will sacrifice to them so they will help me." But they were his downfall and the downfall of all Israel.

 

King Ahaz followed his father Jotham as king of Judah.  He was an evil king…worshiping idols …building altars to baal…even sacrificing his own children to the many gods he prayed to for help.  His rein was one of defeat and trouble…God allowing misfortune to bring many defeats to his life.

 

King Ahaz never understood that God was just a prayer away….he always turned to the foreign gods of Israel and Samaria. Ahaz turned to every heathen idol within his reach…and let his spiritual life crumble into nothingness…leading his people completely away from the one God who could help and save them.

 

I can’t hardly understand how one person could try praying to all these gods….and never discover the power of Yahweh.  The temple and priests were just a stone’s throw away from his palace…but his heart never thought to go and look for help there. He seemed to run the opposite direction …on purpose.  The more he looked for answers outside the laws of God…the more disaster seemed to plague his life.

 

Oh how he needed someone to turn him around and show him the power God can give when you run to him instead of away from him. He needed the words of David read to him from Psalms 46:1… “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” He needed someone to testify of the great things God has done for them…so he would start looking for his help in the right places.

 

We all know someone who is just like Ahaz…so maybe today’s message for me is a reminder to keep sharing the greatness of God in my life with the Ahaz’s I know around me. They will keep running away from God if we don’t take the time to show them the right way to run.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I am always being watched by others.  Help me to model for them the love you have shown me and always take time to share the wonderful things you have done in my life. Never allow my heart to think that I can find success and happiness anywhere other than at your feet. Keep holding my hand and help me to draw even closer to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment