Sunday, August 18, 2013

Put All Your Eggs In God's Basket


2 Chronicles 16:1-3 -   In the thirty-sixth year of Asa's reign Baasha king of Israel went up against Judah and fortified Ramah to prevent anyone from leaving or entering the territory of Asa king of Judah.  Asa then took the silver and gold out of the treasuries of the LORD's temple and of his own palace and sent it to Ben-Hadad king of Aram, who was ruling in Damascus.  "Let there be a treaty between me and you," he said, "as there was between my father and your father. See, I am sending you silver and gold. Now break your treaty with Baasha king of Israel so he will withdraw from me."
 
Asa had been king for 36 years when the King of Israel declared war on his kingdom.  King Baasha placed his army in Ramah…and controlled the roads in and out of Jerusalem. Asa’s military counter was to send the gold and silver from his palace…and the gold and silver from the Temple of God to the king of Syria...wishing to entice him to reestablish the treaty his father entered into many years before.
 
It worked…for the short moment that the King of Syria said sure….and king Baasha retreated.  But then the prophet Hanani came to rebuke his use of God’s gold and silver without asking God’s permission. He delivered a harsh message from God that he would now have to endure war from Syria’s king for the rest of his reign …and rebuking him for allowing his heart to forget how God had helped him when he was completely sold out to him…instead of relying on man.
 
Asa is the picture of many Christians today…drawing close to God in our neediest times…then becoming complacent as he piles his blessings on us.  We allow satan to slip in the back doors of our hearts…and he slowly builds a barricade of justification…for us to forget where those blessings came from.  We begin to rely on our own devices… and forget to call out to God…and wait on his answers. We build a group of friends around us that think our decisions are all just fine….as we break God’s heart over and over because we never call him up to discuss things with him.
 
I am confident is this…I can’t plead the 5th with God.  He knows my heart…even knows what I will ultimately decide. He knows that I just can’t imagine abandoning or forgetting the one person who has given me the strength to keep going the last 4 years. Perhaps my convictions on this are so strong because my own heart has been broken twice….for the divorce of one husband…and death of another cut pretty deep scars in that heart tissue. Perhaps it more the daily time I spend with him writing…he is my best friend…and I simply have to talk to him every day…sometimes more than once.
 
Asa may have simply forgot to go to the Temple one day and pray.  Perhaps he got too busy with his king reponsibilities.  Perhaps he became self-sufficient because of the great blessings God allowed him to collect. Somehow satan snuck in the back door of his once passionate heart…and built a wall of complacency…that blocked his desire to check everything he did with his heavenly father. And ultimately brought down some pretty heavy judgement from God…which made his last years on Earth pretty hard.
 
What a great reminder to check my heart for any signs of satan this morning. Oh how I need to cry out to God to wash me clean with his merciful grace and cleansing blood of his son Jesus Christ...who died to make sure I always have a way to speak with his father. As the writer of Lamentations 3:40 said…. “Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the LORD.” Let us all examine our hearts…and make sure the fire he lit the day he saved us is burning bright with a passion to serve him only.
 
Father…thank you for the reminder to check my heart this morning…and be sure that you are in complete control of all that I do.  Help me to kick to the curb anything that has taken root in my life that might lead me to become self-sufficient and stop calling out to you for any help I need. Add the fuel you need to the fire in my heart to keep it burning brightly…so you can use me to lead others to you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment