Thursday, August 8, 2013

Prayer...On Your Knees...Equals Submission To God


2 Chronicles 6:13-14 -  He had made a bronze platform 7 1/2 feet long, 7 1/2 feet wide, and 4 1/2 feet high and had placed it at the center of the Temple's outer courtyard. He stood on the platform before the entire assembly, and then he knelt down and lifted his hands toward heaven.  He prayed, "O LORD, God of Israel, there is no God like you in all of heaven and earth. You keep your promises and show unfailing love to all who obey you and are eager to do your will.

 

Solomon took time to focus the worship of God once again on the reason the Temple had been built. As all the people in the outer courtyard stood before God…he knelt on a special platform he had built so they could all see his humble act of kneeling before God…so he could offer his prayer…in complete submission to God’s authority.  He lifted his hands toward heaven ….and allowed his heart to speak to God.

 

As the people stood in honor of God…he knelt in submission to him.   Both publically declaring their allegiance and surrender to the rules and commands God had set before them.  Solomon went one step further ..and lifted his hands high above is head as he prayed…and asked God to protect …and guide…and correct his people through any sin they might commit. He poured out his praise…and all his future worry…to the one God that could correct them if they went astray.

 

It must have been one of those bittersweet moments in his heart…wishing that his father was here to see the grand temple he had built for God …using all the materials and plans that had been passed down to him.  But the pure praise and worship he had offered with his people gave him a sense of peace and love that helped him focus on the present and future of his people….asking God to bless and keep the nation strong…and bring them back to the true worship they were experiencing…even if they messed up again.

 

I admit that I don’t use my knees often enough.  My prayers are usually uttered form whatever position I happen to be in at the moment I think of the need. The altar…and the reverent act of placing my knees there in prayer…has been reserved for church…and the more serious petitions of life. Perhaps I need to find an altar in my home…so I can show my love and submission to God every time I pray….with every need I ask him for his help.

 

It is still another reminder to me that God is pleased when we come to him in humbleness…recognizing his great power…knowing that he has given us everything we own.  I need to practice the wisdom of Solomon in my prayer life…so I can grasp the concept that God is in control of everything I do. I need to take to heart Solomon’s wise words in Proverbs 15:33 that say…. “The fear of the LORD is the instruction for wisdom, And before honor comes humility.”

 

Father…thank you for the reminder to be more submissive to your great power and control over my life.  Teach me how to use my knees as an act of humility…and honor and respect for who you are.  Show me that altar that you have already picked out in my home…so I can begin to use my prayer time to focus a little deeper on the things that will bring me closer to you….not just say a few words of love and praise and need and fall asleep like the disciples the night before you gave your life to save me from my sins. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment