Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ask....And Follow Through


2 Chronicles 18:4-6 -  But Jehoshaphat also said to the king of Israel, "First seek the counsel of the LORD."  So the king of Israel brought together the prophets--four hundred men--and asked them, "Shall we go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?" "Go," they answered, "for God will give it into the king's hand."  But Jehoshaphat asked, "Is there not a prophet of the LORD here whom we can inquire of ?"

 

The king of Judah and the king of Israel arranged a marriage between their children.  The party king Ahab threw to celebrate gave him the opportunity to ask Jehoshaphat to join him in war as well. I am Jehoshaphat’s mouth spoke of the need to seek the counsel of God first...but he did not listen to …or heed the consequences of the words of the only prophet of God they asked.

 

Jehoshaphat’s heart was thinking the right thing…but his feet and hands were unwilling to take a stand against the king of Israel…and say no to his plan to try and deceive Syria’s army. It might have worked for Ahab…except God was in control…and the random arrow from an unknown person wounded him so badly he died later that same day.

 

I can relate to Jehoshaphat completely.  There are many times I can recall asking God for direction...and hearing clear answers to do something specific in response…then justifying my own selfish response as a better plan.  What must I have been thinking…to do the opposite of what I knew God had said was right?  What a mess I made because I insisted on doing things my own way? Why did I even take the time to play games with God and ask in the first place?

 

It is much too easy for satan to trick us into justifying our own desires…when we know clearly that we are doing the wrong thing. We even go out in search of ‘yes’ friends…who will say just what we want to hear…and support all our wrong decisions. We want to be loved so badly here in this world…that we accept the temporary love of men…instead of holding out for the permanent love of the father. And if we are not careful…we will miss out on the blessings God has planned when we choose to follow his will instead of our own selfish desires.

 

This story is just what needed this day…a reminder that God’s directions are not always what my heart wishes or thinks it needs in that moment. I need to be more like those great men of faith in Hebrews 11. Maybe I am to be a Noah… and build a boat in a world where rain has never fallen.  Or perhaps I am to be a Moses…and pick up a wooden rod with no clue how powerful it can to be in the lives of the Hebrews. Perhaps I am to be a Barbara…and really listen to God today…to hear him tell me what great thing he has for me to do…to lead others to know of his great love.

 

Father….thank you for the reminder that even though your plans for me may not always be easy….I need to follow through in faith to complete each task.  Help me Lord today by giving me a passion like Noah…to do your will…even if I am teased and taunted for my task.  Place a rod in my hands like Moses…and teach me how to use it …to help you teach people about your love.  Give me a faith like Abraham…who was ready to give up his only son...if that is what you called him to do.  Give me all the wisdom…and strength…and courage I will need to take a stand for you…and not wavier till I complete the job you placed me here to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment