Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Guard Your Faith In Times Of Plenty


2 Chronicles 12:1-4 -  After Rehoboam's position as king was established and he had become strong, he and all Israel with him abandoned the law of the LORD. Because they had been unfaithful to the LORD, Shishak king of Egypt attacked Jerusalem in the fifth year of King Rehoboam.  With twelve hundred chariots and sixty thousand horsemen and the innumerable troops of Libyans, Sukkites and Cushites that came with him from Egypt, he captured the fortified cities of Judah and came as far as Jerusalem.

 

Rehoboam had been king for 5 years.  He established his government and grew strong during the first five years of his reign. He lived within the fortified cities he had built ….and served God…for at least some of these years. But somewhere toward the end of this 5 year period of strength…he began to worship idols…and abandoned the God who had given him his strength.

 

Perhaps the power he had developed over the people gave him a false sense of security. The mere ease of his job allowed satan to sneak in and replace his need to follow God…with a sense of self sufficiency.  His mind and soul began to think he could do his job on his own...the cockiness of his youth regaining its hold on his heart.

 

When God isn’t centered in our hearts….we become superficial Christians….giving God less and less time in our lives …..doing exactly what we want…completely twisting his word sometimes to justify it to our heart.  Our actions and words are not based on the truth of God’s word…but on the false sense of security we have built in the material things around us.

 

The words in my Life Application Bible Commentary perked up my heart when I read…. “in hard times we tend to draw close to God…but in times of ease we can sometimes feel self-sufficient and self-satisfied.” Perhaps that is one reason why God allows us to experience bad things in life…perhaps we have become like Rehoboam….and a little too confident in our own abilities.

 

It is a warning to me to guard my faith in this time of life when I am feeling very blessed lately. I need to build a tall tower around my heart with the truth in God’s word…and pray like my friend Daniel morning …noon…and evening.  I need to stay focused on God…so I am always conscious of where my sustenance comes from.

 

Father…I thank you for everything you have given me….in spite of the fact that I deserve none of it. I thank you for reminding me just how important it is to keep my eyes on you in this time of life when the blessings you have showered on me blow my heart away in gratitude. Help me to always remember this feeling of closeness to you….and continue to search for ways to grow even closer.  Keep reminding me how important it is to stay humble…so I will not fall into any of the traps satan has set for my heart. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment