Saturday, August 17, 2013

Sell Out Completely...Or Walk Away Sad


2 Chronicles 15:12-14 -  They entered into a covenant to seek the LORD, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul.  All who would not seek the LORD, the God of Israel, were to be put to death, whether small or great, man or woman.  They took an oath to the LORD with loud acclamation, with shouting and with trumpets and horns.

 

Asa’s reign was already marked by his zeal to purge Judah of Idolatry…but a message from the prophet Azariah sent him on another search for Idols to be destroyed in the cities and towns that had been captured in war.  He even destroyed the asherah pole of the queen…his grandmother….and removed her from her throne.

 

He heeded the words of the prophet…to seek the Lord with his whole heart and soul….purging from among the people by death…anyone who refused to follow God’s commands.  He gathered all the people together….Judeans and the immigrants from Israel alike…and called for them to make a serious covenant with God….even swearing by an oath to love him more than anything else in their lives.

 

It must have been one great revival of love for God…sacrifices numbering more than 1700 animals… offered on the rebuilt altar in front of the temple that Solomon had built. They were so caught up in the act of worship and praise they shouted ….as trumpets and horns blasted melodies of pure joy and peace.

 

It had me wondering if I would join in the huge celebration…shouting my own oath to love him with my whole heart and soul. I wondered if I were more like that rich young ruler in Mark 10 and Matthew 19. He was privileged to meet Jesus one day…and even asked him how to make a deeper commitment to him. Jesus’ answer rings true in my heart this morning….. “ Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

 

I can say with my mouth that I love God more than anything… but am I in reality ready to give up all my worldly possessions…and follow him anywhere… if he asks.  I sure don’t want to be like the ruler…who walked away from Jesus that day…saddened…even grieving at the many things he would have had to give up.  And I will admit that I am not sure I am mature enough in Christ that I could pack up my son like Abraham in Genesis 22….ready to sacrifice him to prove his love for God.

 

I am pretty sure I am not the only one who tends to justify the things I have…or want to have….because God can use them in some way. But maybe I should take a new inventory of what I have…and check to see if anything has become more important than God in my life. And if I find anything…I need to remove it quickly …without question…so that I have no distractions…and don’t run the risk of walking away from God’s test of how deep my love for him is.

 

Father…I thank you for this reminder that you should be first…in everything I do and say. Help me Lord today to stop and reflect on what I have in my possession …that might not represent you. Give me the courage to remove it quickly from my life….even if it was put there by family that I love. I renew my commitment to you this morning…and admit that I am weak…and will need you to help me with this task. Help me recognize satan when he tries to trick me into justifying something in my life that will eventually weaken my love for you...light a fire inside my soul that will help me feel your presence in my life at all times. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment