Friday, August 23, 2013

Mercy Despite Our Selfishness


2 Chronicles 21:4-6 -  When Jehoram established himself firmly over his father's kingdom, he put all his brothers to the sword along with some of the princes of Israel.  Jehoram was thirty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem eight years.  He walked in the ways of the kings of Israel, as the house of Ahab had done, for he married a daughter of Ahab. He did evil in the eyes of the LORD.

 

Jehoshaphat had made arrangements for all of his sons to be richly blessed….leaving them all with numerous gifts and a city to call their own….but his oldest son was given the traditional blessing…and handed the throne of Judah. His decision to marry the daughter of the king of Israel introduced the idols of many pagan gods into his home…and eventually hardened his heart to worshiping God in any form or manner.

 

Jehoram’s heart grew so cold that he murdered all his brothers…and many of the princes of Israel that might somehow be a threat to his reign. He established himself with no hint of ever involving God in his life…and even forced his subjects to worship the idols and Gods his wife had introduced to his palace. He rebuilt the altars in the high places…and used them to sacrifice to the heathen Gods of the queen.

 

His love of other Gods cost him his life…and the life of his entire family…save his youngest son. God sent a terrible plague…of the bowels…and he suffered in great pain for at least two years.  His kingdom was attacked and defeated by the armies of neighboring kingdoms…leaving nothing for his youngest son to rule as he grew.

 

Perhaps it was pride…perhaps fear…or maybe it was just plain stubbornness… but Jehoram never repented of the sin that displeased God. I sure can’t imagine what is was like …to lay in that pain day after day…knowing that God’s mercy was a prayer away.  He died an unloved man…in the curse of his own sin….without family or friends.

 

I have sat a long time this morning…just wondering what God would have me to ponder from this story. One simple thought came to mind… that God’s mercy was given to Jehoram’s son Ahaziah.  He was saved for the simple reason that God wanted to preserve the blood lines of David. He loved David so much that he wanted to keep his promise…even though he was no longer bound by the terms of his covenant.

 

Perhaps that is a reminder to me to offer the same mercy….and be more forgiving…even when the terms of the promises made to me are broken. God has been working on the selfishness that was planted there years ago by satan…and even though I know in my heart I am less selfish than I was yesterday…there remains a remnant of that seed. Maybe I pondered longer than the usual 5-10 minutes…because he tried to wake me at 5…and I let my flesh tell me it was okay to go back to sleep.  Maybe I missed the blessing of a direct word this morning...because I still harbor a seed of selfishness in my heart.

 

Father…I thank you for this story…that seemed so inconsequential to my life…and that you used it to remind me that I still need to work on removing the seeds of selfishness from my heart.  Only you know how much of that seed remains…and only you know what it will take to remove it completely from my life. Do what it takes Lord…to purge that selfishness out of me…and replace it with your love and mercy. Show me how to walk the same humble steps that your son walked when he stepped out of that wilderness when he was baptized.  Reveal to me your plan…and send me all the resources I will need to follow it. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment