Thursday, April 3, 2014

Are You Restless Enough?


Psalm 132:1-5 - O LORD, remember David and all the hardships he endured.  He swore an oath to the LORD and made a vow to the Mighty One of Jacob:  "I will not enter my house or go to my bed--  I will allow no sleep to my eyes, no slumber to my eyelids,  till I find a place for the LORD, a dwelling for the Mighty One of Jacob."

 

This anonymous writer recounts the promise David made to God because his heart couldn’t stand living in a grand palace…when God’s Ark stood in a lowly tent. The material wealth around him did not comfort him…he was restless.  He wanted God to live in a grand temple….one that would give honor and majesty to the God he loved and worshiped.

 

We should all be so restless …when it comes to working for God.  The material world around us should give us no comfort at all…because we know there are millions of people out there that do not know about God’s great plan of salvation.  Our lives should be centered around finding the one job brought us to this earth to do.

 

I admit…I am guilty of caring more about my plight in the present than I do about what God may have planned for me to do in the future.  I sure don’t lose sleep…my bedtime is 9pm firm.  I guess I needed a reminder that the selfishness that ruled my life for so long still has a bit of control over my heart. I know also that only God can remove the reminder of control that the world has on me….and create in me restlessness for what he really put me here to do.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I still need you to help me remove the remnants of the selfish nature that keeps me more focused on the world than on you.  Forgive me this morning for sleeping too much…and not spending enough time with you in prayer and study.  Create in me a new passion this day to spend more time searching for the plan you have for me…so I can do the work you put me here to do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment