Friday, April 11, 2014

Leave Justice In God's Hands


Psalm 140:1-4 -  Rescue me, O LORD, from evil men; protect me from men of violence,  who devise evil plans in their hearts and stir up war every day.  They make their tongues as sharp as a serpent's; the poison of vipers is on their lips. "Selah"  Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; protect me from men of violence who plan to trip my feet.

 

David wrote this wonderful Psalm that models for us how to handle the evil and injustice we are tempted to handle ourselves. He prayed to God to help him…to rescue him…to deliver him from the ones that meant to hurt him with their words and actions. David prayed that the evil that was plotted against him would boomerang right back to those that sent it.

 

It is so hard to look upon the horrible evil day to day that exists in our world.  The news is full of crime….murder trials…and stories of trafficking humans for ill gain.  The words and actions of people around the world …hurt people intensely with the hate that powers these violent and evil things. It makes it so much harder to imagine that one day the world will be free of such crazy and evil things.

 

David’s prayer shows us how to maintain an inner peace in the midst of just atrocities.  If we completely turn the justice over to God…then we free our mind and hands to love the hate out of a few more of the ones that God brings across our own paths. There is nothing wrong with praying for justice…we just have to be ready to let God’s timing rule over our desire to fix everything that is wrong on our own.

 

Father...thank you for the reminder that God knows what is happening on this earth he created…and has a plan to right every wrong that I perceive with my ears….and eyes…and heart.  Help me resist the temptation to interfere with his plan…and wait on him to create the perfect punishment for those that break his rules.  Help me remember that I am a sinner too….and my sin will be judged as well. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment