Sunday, April 13, 2014

When On Empty....Fill Up With God


Psalm 142:3-5 -  When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, Then You knew my path. In the way in which I walk They have secretly set a snare for me.  Look on my right hand and see, For there is no one who acknowledges me; Refuge has failed me; No one cares for my soul.  I cried out to You, O Lord: I said, "You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living.

 

David wrote this Psalm that reminds us that no matter what our troubles…no matter how unloved we feel…God is there supplying the strength to get through that dark period of our lives.  David knew that if he just prayed to God…he would comfort him as long as he had to wait in those caves.  He knew God was there…even if every other human left his side.

 

I am not sure I have ever had to experience the emptiness that David is talking about here.  I came close when I walked the harsh roads of divorce…my first husband leaving me for someone else.  I came closer when the second husband God gave me died suddenly.  I am sure that God gave me the strength and comfort I needed when Life was tough….and even gave my life new purpose and meaning …using those painful times to build me into someone he could use to spread his word…in simple language…in daily devotionals.

 

Here’s an amazing thing. David didn’t complain…he just asked for God’s help. David thanked God for his comfort and love.  He clung to it and let it help him survive a time of darkness and uncertainty.  David…like Paul and Silas… sang a psalm of praise and thanks to the one he knew was going to usher him into a new season of life….even if he didn’t know what it would be…or when it would come.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to come to you when I feel lonely and sad.  Forgive me for the times that I have complained and whined…instead of offering you a thank you for the comfort you gave me.  Thank you for showing me how important it is to read your word…and giving me the opportunity to write and share the deepest thoughts you reveal each morning.  Use me more and more to spread the truth about your great love….so that more people can come to know you personally.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment