Sunday, April 20, 2014

Not Just On Easter


Psalm 149:1-5 -  Praise ye the LORD.   Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.    Let Israel rejoice in him that made him:  let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.    Let them praise his name in the dance:  let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.   For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people:  he will beautify the meek with salvation.    Let the saints be joyful in glory:  let them sing aloud upon their beds.  

 

This anonymous Psalm tells us once again to praise the Lord….sing to him…gather together to worship him…dance….play instruments…even sing aloud as we lay down to close our eyes after a day of work or play.  We need to thank God for loving us…be joyful for the gift of salvation his son gave to us all.

 

How awesome that God gave this unknown Hebrew the very words to give all of us hope…thousands of years ago. He beautifies the meek still to this day….and even those that don’t come together in corporate worship on a regular basis flock to churches around the world on this day. They know in their hearts that they should be more thankful than they have been for the salvation that Jesus provided.

 

I can’t think of any better day than Easter to celebrate the gift he gave us all.  I just can’t fathom the love he must have held in his perfect heart that gave him the strength to die such a gruesome death….suffer the full horror of hell for every person that was or ever will be.  I want to think that Jesus smiled gently at satan when he conquered death….with no words of boastful pride.

 

It is a reminder to me to celebrate his wonderful gift every day…no t just on the calendar days that mark the dates for our minds.  I need to sing his song every morning…thank him as many times a day as I can...and even close my eyes at night with his wonderful love in my thoughts. I need to be careful not to let this wonderful day turn into a show of what new things I can wear to church…or how big a basket I can put together for my kids…supposedly from the Easter Bunny.

 

Father…I thank you for the reminder that the gift your son Jesus gave us should be celebrated every day…not just this weekend that marks the calendar days it may have happened.  Forgive me for the times I get caught up in the material things the world tries to use to use to pull me away from your perfect love.  Help me to be the same every day….waking to sing a thankful song…and retiring at night with the same praise.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment