Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Guard Against Pride


Psalm 131:1-3 -  My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.  But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.  O Israel, put your hope in the LORD both now and forevermore.

 

David wrote this short psalm.  Just three verses that pack a powerful message of humility. We must constantly guard our hearts from pride…and put our hope in God. We must let God take control of our soul…so he can wean us from the dependence we sometimes develop in the things of this world.

 

When we overvalue ourselves….pride consumes the parts of the heart that God is trying to consume with his love and servant attitude. A haughtiness develops that makes the heart crave attention. The heart can become so consumed with the need for attention that it forgets God far behind.

 

Humility puts others first...and brings a contentment with where God has placed us. We begin to understand that we are nothing apart from God’s great love…and any security we have comes directly form him.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to keep my heart humble ….and my eyes so contented in your will for my life…that I keep my hope completely in you.  Forgive me for the times that I have let pride creep in to my heart.  Help me to guard against it with more fervor…so that I can be humble…even when the world tempts me with its material wealth. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment