Wednesday, April 16, 2014

God Is Great.....Too Great To Completely Understand


Psalm 145:1-3 -  I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever.  Every day I will praise you and extol your for ever and ever. Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom.

 

David was always writing Psalms that started with praise to God. He wisely reminds us to bless God’s name…to exalt him above all others….because he is truly the only one that deserves it.  He vows to do this EVERY DAY…forever and ever.

 

Then he says something truly wise…he reminds us that no one will ever completely understand just how wonderful and vast his deep love for us is. God’s greatness is just too great to fathom.  It is deeper than the deepest sea….wider than the widest river…taller than the tallest mountain…and reaches farther that the strongest telescope has ever seen into the heavens.

 

Since we can’t ever completely figure God out…we should just accept the fact that he is there…and loves us more than we could ever love anyone. As the child’s prayer says… “God is great…God is good….let us thank him…”  The prayer goes on to thank God for food….but we could expand that simple prayer to be a mantra of thanks for the hand that provides everything that we see and touch every day.

 

Even Jesus knew this simple truth…and was quick to tell the rich young ruler who called him ‘good’ teacher in Mark 10:18…. “Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good--except God alone.” It reminds me to always remember that I am a sinner…saved only by the grace that God provides because I believe in his son Jesus Christ. He lifted this broken sinner to do things that she never dreamed possible...his comfort and love have given me the strength to keep believing…even when it was hard…even when I did not understand his choices for my life.

 

Father…thank you for being so great and vast that no one has ever completely figured you out.  I thank you for being in control of my life…and pray this morning that you always help me remember who is in charge.  Thank you for all you have done for me…and for all the blessings I know you have planned for my future. I thank your son Jesus for dying for me…so I can someday visit forever with both of you face to face. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment