Monday, April 14, 2014

Pray For God's Will To Be Done


Psalm 143:8-10 - Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.  Rescue me from my enemies, O LORD, for I hide myself in you.  Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

 

David wrote this Psalm that teaches us that no matter how bad it gets….dawn brings a new day…and God will always be there to restore us. He wanted God to know that he had put his trust in him…and prayed for the strength to do God’s will…not act of his own accord.

 

David’s prayer did not leave out his vent of despair…he expressed his feelings openly and honestly.  But he paired the cries of pain with the promise of God…that he would always be with his people.  His prayer let God know that he remembered the mighty miracle of old…and looked forward to the new miracle he would do for him.

 

It reminds me that we should always take time to share our own stories of the great miracles God has done through the years. The stories of healings….safety in spite of horrible wrecks…blessing s of bills paid…or school tuition covered in ways that could only be of God…they give those that are hurting a reason to hope for their own miracles. They give those who have resisted God a reason to start believing.

 

I admit that I am not as strong as David…my mind acts more like the father in Mark 9.  He wanted a healing for his son who suffered from an evil spirit.  He had such hope that Jesus could heal his son that he traveled to see him one day.  He asked Jesus to heal him… “if he could.” And when Jesus told him everything was possible if you believe….he uttered the words … “I believe….help thou my unbelief.”

 

I try not to be too hard on myself… Jesus was the only other one I know for sure that prayed that way….all of the time.  He believed in his father so fully that he was able to complete the most amazing miracle of all time. He gave his life in a most amazing show of love…and  conquered death to raise back to life.

 

Oh father…help my unbelief.  I know you are able….so help me overcome my human flesh that tells me sometimes that I don’t deserve the miracle.  Thank you for the reminder that one of the reasons I am weak is I let my flesh win out over your will sometimes. Show me like you did David and Jesus how to pray for your will…putting what I want completely out of the picture. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment