Sunday, April 27, 2014

Let Humility Keep Pride From Taking Root In Your heart


Proverbs 6:16-19 -  There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood,  a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.

 

Solomon tackles a variety of foolish actions in this chapter of Proverbs. Telling us to swallow our pride when we realize we have bit off more than we can chew….to respect the things our parents try to teach us about his ways as we age…and another warning about adultery. He ends this chapter with a list of 7 things that make God the angriest.

 

Haughty eyes appear when we think we know more that those around us…and pride tricks us into looking on others with scorn.  Using lies… producing a false witness for someone else…or stirring up trouble between people…has its roots in pride as well. It always seems easier to lie than to swallow pride and admit the truth. Murder….the heart that devises wicked schemes…and those that quickly rush into evil …well those take simple pride and elevate it to another level. 

 

Thank God there is a simple way to avoid all of these things he hates…..we have to let humility rule our hearts at all times…and quickly swallow our pride and repent…so God can wash the seed that satan plants in our heart completely away…before it takes root and gets worse.

 

I will admit that it is not an easy thing to do…I slipped up several times this last few weeks….telling my share of what most call white lies. They have eaten me up inside ever since…God’s love trying to show me how important it is to cleanse my conscious.  I will have to find a way to swallow my own pride and let God’s love and power give me the strength I need to correct my embellishments.  God has to be in charge…not me.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to be more aware of the pride that tries to slip into my heart. Forgive me for trying to making myself look better by stretching the truth. Help me to rely more on you than I do my own understanding of how things work. Show me how to fix my mistakes…and give me the strength to accept the outcome when I do. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment