Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Commit Your Friends And Family To God's Care


Romans 16: 25-27 -  I commit you to God, who is able to make you strong and steady in the Lord, just as the Gospel says, and just as I have told you. This is God’s plan of salvation for you Gentiles, kept secret from the beginning of time. But now as the prophets foretold and as God commands, this message is being preached everywhere, so that people all around the world will have faith in Christ and obey him. To God, who alone is wise, be the glory forever through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

 

Paul spends some time in his last chapter listing all the important people that the Romans can go to if they have a spiritual need. He considered all the people on his list as strong brothers and sisters in Christ….people who would consider God’s will in any advice they would give others. It was a long list….and held many personal names….and many group names.

 

Paul knew in his heart that many of these people he would never see again.  God’s will for his life had taken him on a traveling path…so he could preach to as many people as possible….and tell them the  wonderful news about Jesus Christ.  He loved them dearly…so he did what would show his love for them in the greatest way…and committed them all to God for safekeeping.

 

My list of friends that are far distances away increased when God allowed me to move home.  God has blessed me to be a part of many churches….and many programs where the people I met have become great parts of my life. I also think of my children…they all live at least a couple of hours away…one lives all the way over on the west coast. I can’t possibly be with them every day ….but try to squeeze in visits whenever I can. 

 

I committed all of my kids to Gods care years ago….it is the only reason I don’t bombard them hour by hour with texts …phone calls or twitter feeds. I testify that Paul’s wisdom here is spot on…I don’t worry about them…because I know that God has a plan for them just like he does me. Perhaps that is why I didn’t worry too much about the friends I left in London KY.  I pray for them and know that God is taking care of them too.

 

One last thought….or perhaps an observation. Some people don’t understand my lack of worry…. perhaps because they have never taken this radical step in pure trust and faith in God’ plan for those that cause them worry.  My peace comes from trusting that what I committed to God is in better care than I could ever give them. It’s that peace that passes understanding that is explained in Philippians 4:7.

 

Paul says that God is able to make all these friends he had to leave behind strong…steadily building them up in the same faith that He had given Paul. Paul believed that God would come through on His promise …and I share Paul’s trust and faith. I refuse to let the world change this great promise in my mind…for it gives me more peace than any other promise I know when it comes to my friends and family I don’t get to talk to every day.

 

 

Father…thank you for reminding me of your great promise to build all believers up in faith and strength.  Forgive me for the times that I have forgotten this great promise and worried about something that is not in my control. Help me to be the long distance friend and mom that prays for my friends and family…and constantly turn any worries they share with me over to you to fix.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment