Wednesday, July 22, 2015

How Much Do You Love Others?


Romans 9:1-3 - O Israel, my people! O my Jewish brothers! How I long for you to come to Christ. My heart is heavy within me, and I grieve bitterly day and night because of you. Christ knows and the Holy Spirit knows that it is no mere pretense when I say that I would be willing to be forever damned if that would save you.

 

Paul does not hide his deep emotions for his Jewish brothers and sisters.  He wanted so badly for all of them to accept Jesus as the Messiah and let go of the past that bound them to unbelief and eternal death. He was willing to trade his own salvation for the salvation of those God called first to be His.  He was willing to trade his life for the lives of others…many he did  not even know personally.

 

Paul had read all the prophecies in Hosea1 and 2…and Isaiah 10 and knew that some would ultimately reject the one thing that could save them forever.  But his heart still burned with a passion to convince as many as he could that Jesus was real …that Jesus was their only hope. That the very God the Jews clung to had indeed sent them a Messiah and made a way for all to be saved without any more blood sacrifices.

 

I am reminded that I have not reached Paul’s level of compassion for those that are not a part of God’s family yet. His passion was the sacrificial love that John 15:3 talks about…..it says… “ Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” I may have a touch of that kind of love for my family….and maybe a few close friends…but not for strangers or people I have never met.

 

I needed the reminder to care more for the lost in this world…to use what God has given me to help Him save as many people as can be saved. Even though I know the Bible says some will never believe….it is worth the one that will believe…. to go full throttle with who God places in my pathway. I need to speak the words Paul used in chapter one…and not be ashamed of the gospel…passionately sharing it with others everywhere I go…praying for the salvation of the lost…until I have no more life in me.

 

Father…thank you for the reminder that I need to have more compassion for the lost in this world.  Forgive me for the times that I have let selfish ambition make me more of an ultimate hypocrite than a person who spreads the gospel to many that will die because of their choice to reject you. Give me a heart that cares as much as Paul did for the lost…and then give me the courage and boldness and wisdom of your word that will help me spread your love to all that I meet.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment